Join now - be part of our community!

Audio Output Query

wyptaj
Visitor

Audio Output Query

Dear All,
I have bought myself a Song Vaio VGN-NR21M/S as I'm a Dj. I have loaded winamp onto the vaio and it plays fine. However when I plug a lead into the headphone socket to play the music through a mixer and amplifier there's a lot of noise sounding like interference. A friend of mine suggested I buy a U_control from Behringer (UCA202) which plugs into a USB port and then plug the leads from the U control to my mixer as there's a lot of interference within the laptop and is a known problem. I have tried that and still I get the same noise as before.
Has anyone else had this problem or do you have any suggestions how I can get around this ?? I'm totally baffled and ultimately it means I can't use my laptop for my DJ gigs.
Any help would be very much appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.
Paul

I've been trying different set ups and I've found out what the problem is but still don't know how to fix it. Everything works fine then the Vaio is running using the battery, however as soon as I plug the power lead in that is when the interference kicks in...
Does anyone know how to get rid of the interference from the power lead ??
Cheers

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.en_TR.title
Twinsen
Visitor

It also happens to me when i plug in the microphone to its socket, only when AC is on. When running on battery, no noise comes, but when the adapter is plugged in, there's a sound like an electronic wave.

Only way i found to solve the problem is to plug-out the AC adapter when i'm recording something with microphone... Easy, but useful. :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi wyptaj and welcome.

This seems to be a general problem with computers when the AC adapter is connected. Better shielded cables can help and using an earthed AC adapter has been known to help.

It may be worth considering a ground loop isolator like this one: -

http://www.beststuff.co.uk/xitel_ground_loop_isolator.htm

:wink:

wyptaj
Visitor

Thank you Blencogo & Twinsen

A friend of mine has suggested I take the earth wire out of the plug of the adapter but as I'm not very technical I'm wondering if this is ok to do and would it work ??

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

They do say that by only havng one earth connection for everything can help.

Pull out the connector where the lead from the plug goes into the AC Adapter - is it just two terminals or is it three?

:thinking:

profile.country.en_TR.title
Twinsen
Visitor

I don't think it's a secure solution. Anything can happen with all that technical thingies.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kiafarnh
Visitor

Never remove your ground. Which would you prefer - (potentially) clear sound or burning property? The earth is there for a reason.

I've had constant problems. Just this afternoon I decided to see if I could cast any fresh light on the problem. It appears nicely shielded cables is the future. Just a moment ago I was messing around with the wire connecting laptop to mixer in sheer desperation and suddenly the interference disappeared, to my surprise. I've replicated the interference/clearance. So I'll be getting a better cable soon.

I've messed, messed and messed some more with my headphone wire without success. They are HD25s so not shoddy pound shop fair so... You may find these ground loop isolators you can purchase for iPhone/iPod/mobile devices will help