Join now - be part of our community!

attaching speakers to desktop Vaio

AmerKhalil
Visitor

attaching speakers to desktop Vaio

Hi

Can anyone help?

I have a Vaio desktop (RZ221) and want to replace provided speakers with new ones. The original ones fit into a DC outlet within the fan/power supply area at the back (top) of the computer. This powers and, I assume, provides the audio out to the speaker units.

If I buy a new pair, they have their own power supply adaptor but where do I plug these in? There is no other dedicated audio outlet, only microphone and headphones. Any ideas appreciated

Amer

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Hi Amer

New speakers will plug into the green jack socket on your soundcard and get power from the mains, not through the PC's power supply

AmerKhalil
Visitor

Thanks Kee Lo.

Excuse my limited knowledge, but is the green jack socket for soundcard inside the machine casing as I can't see one at the rear

Many thanks

Amer

William
Visitor

Thanks Kee Lo.  

Excuse my limited knowledge, but is the green jack socket for soundcard inside the machine casing as I can't see one at the rear

Many thanks

Amer

Perhaps your Vaio does not have colour coded sockets.

As Kee-Lo rightly said the original speakers plugged into a socket on your soundcard externally at the rear of your case.

The original speakers must have also had a connector which plugged into the soundcard (externally).

Your new speakers (unless USB) will have an identical plug.

Just plug the new speaker's plug into the hole on your soundcard where your old speaker's plug previously went.

William
Visitor

The manual on your model on Vaio Link shows that on your Soundcard you have a microphone socket, headphone socket and line out socket.

The manual on model at Vaio-Link refers you to the "Quick Start Guide" for plugging in supplied harware including your original speakers.

This guide is not online at Vaio Link but it was HERE for the equivelant US Model.

On page 20 of the "Quick Start Guide" it clearly states that your old and new speakers plug into the HEADPHONE SOCKET :smileygrin:

AmerKhalil
Visitor

Thank you everyone

Your help has been invaluable, now I know what I am doing

Kindest regards

Amer