Join now - be part of our community!

AR41S WinDVD BD for Vaio - Is it a full version? How to check it?

Niska
Visitor

AR41S WinDVD BD for Vaio - Is it a full version? How to check it?

Hi,

I wish to play DVD files (VIDEO_TS folder) with my WinDVD BD preinstalled copy. Right clicking on the widows and selecting Source only give me the choice of DVD drive ... no DVD files option !! A search on the net seems to indicate that this program should have this option.

Is WinDVD BD for Vaio a full version or just a waterdown promotional gift as the ROXIO burning soft? How to find WinDVD BD the version: there is no About window to be found ... at least for me 😞

If this program cannot play DVD files, what is a work around? I need to play this DVD files folder before I burn it to check if it's OK.

Thanks in advance

5 REPLIES 5
Indy89
Visitor

You should have two movie playback programs on your Vaio these are WinDVD for Vaio and WinDVD BD for vaio, the BD one is for Blu-Ray discs only and WinDVD is for DVD discs/files. Both are watered down versions of Intervideo WinDVD software which are made specifically for Vaio computers, but WinDVD should play the files from hard drive.

Niska
Visitor

Thanks Indy89,

unfortunatly, I have only one program WinDVD BD for Vaio listed in Start | Programs list. Just for good conscience I checked the "C:\Program Files\InterVideo\DVDBD8\.." folder and I have only: WinDVD.exe executable which is WinDVD BD.The others exec in InterVideo folder are WinDVDFs.exe (full screen) and some Jawa library.

I think, I am going to investigate using PowerDVD V7 as a replacement if it does the job. My Vaio was made early 2007 to may explain why I don't have a plain WinDVD for Vaio.

Thanks again for you help

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi there

If you are trying to play the actual vob files rather than a DVD you will need an application like VLC (videolan) or media player classic. Both are free.

Indy89
Visitor

Thats odd I thought all Vaio had both installed. I just checked the download page for your laptop here and can only see Intervideo WinDVD BD for Vaio.

i just checked my laptop the AR21S and that only has the BD version to download too.

Niska
Visitor

Thanks Indy88 for taking the trouble to check my soft configuration.

I did find where the version was hidden (right click the window, Setup and information). I do have Version: 8.0 DXVA B08.425. So it's fine.

I did install PowerDVD Ultra V7.3. It can use iso images and DVD folders (vob files) as source. So .... I guess I will ditch WinDVD BD for Vaio when I get the courage for the big clean up: to remove the recovery partition (I made a safety dvd backup system and applications).