Join now - be part of our community!

why can't I connect Bravia to my network/router

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
romarsh76
Visitor

why can't I connect Bravia to my network/router

Hi all

I've connected my KDL 40W5500 and BDP-S550 bluray player to my router LAN ports 1&2 but nothing happens, TV says I'm not connected properly and bluray says check that I'm using correct cable ie, should the cores be crossed in the cable?, I don't know, should they ? there's nothing in either instruction booklets, everything is connected as per the diagram but it doesn't work, anyone got any ideas ?

thanks Ronnie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
flintst0ne
New

Hi Ronnie,

You definitely need standard RJ45 Ethernet LAN cables.  RJ11 is incorrect.

Presumably, your PC is working Ok through your router, so try and use that RJ45 LAN cable.  Just incase the RJ45 LAN cable between your TV and router is faulty?

The router does not need to be "told" it should all be automatic.

Good luck

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
flintst0ne
New

Hi Ronnie,

Try a few things:

1) Check that the link lights are up on your router LAN ports when you plug in the LAN cables?

2) Reboot the router and see if your TV/Bluray learns a new IP address from the router.  As your router usually by default will allocate an IP address automatically if requested?  Your TV/Bluray by default should also request for an IP address automatically?

3) Reboot your TV/Bluray and/or to factory defaults and see if a new IP address is learnt?

CheerZ and goodluck

Message was edited by: flintst0ne

romarsh76
Visitor

Hi flinst0ne

thanks for your suggestions.

the LAN led's on the router are not lit, I've re-booted it with no effect, TV still says "network devices are not connected correctly" but I can't see how you can go wrong, I'm now wondering if I'm using the correct kind of cable, the router and Blu-ray have RJ11 connectors and helpfully ???the TV has RJ45, I'm just using cabling sold as network cable so it should be ok for the job. Does the router have to be "told" that it has a cable plugged into it or does it automatically know because of a return feed from whatever is on the other end of the cable? I know I'm rambling on a bit, it all looks so easy in the manual.

I haven't reset the TV/Blu-ray to factory settings because its taken a while to get it as I want it.

thanks for any other suggestions   Ronnie

flintst0ne
New

Hi Ronnie,

You definitely need standard RJ45 Ethernet LAN cables.  RJ11 is incorrect.

Presumably, your PC is working Ok through your router, so try and use that RJ45 LAN cable.  Just incase the RJ45 LAN cable between your TV and router is faulty?

The router does not need to be "told" it should all be automatic.

Good luck

romarsh76
Visitor

Hi again flinst0ne

I think you might have solved my problem, I've been using cables with RJ11 plugs because I thought that was the type used on my router, and they fitted, I now realise my mistake, RJ11 are 4 core and RJ45 are 8 core, I've to get some cables with RJ45 plugs now, I'll let you know how I get-on.

thanks for the help   Ronnie

flintst0ne
New

:slight_smile:

romarsh76
Visitor

Hi again flinst0ne

everything's working ok with the correct cables, I think what I've done is look at the WAN cable into the router which is RJ11 and bought similar ones, that'll teach me to use my specs more often.

thanks very much for your help, over and out     Ronnie

flintst0ne
New

Good news :slight_smile: