Join now - be part of our community!

VAT refund problems

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
1DissatisfiedCustomer
Visitor

VAT refund problems

I recently bought a Sony tv and there wasn't a European Guarantee Information Document enclosed. I phoned the helpline on the 'Get the VAT-back with Sony' brochure and Adil told me that the till receipt was the European Guarantee. This seems logical as we are in the EU. However, I have been informed that my claim has been rejected, even though I put a note on the form and the call reference number.

I phoned the helpline this morning and I have been told to send a letter giving the details. As I only have 28 days to appeal, concidering possible postal delays due to bad weather, and the fact that I have explained the situation over the phone, and been unable to speak to a team leader as requested, and put the information in writing on the application form, what can I do?

Does anyone know that the elusive European Guarantee Information Document looks like and can Sony send one to me so that I can send it to their promotion company in order to claim my VAT back?

As you can possible guess, I am a very dissatisfied customer!

Q

67 REPLIES 67
sasunda33
Visitor

Hi Lee

Got my refund as well. Great news. Thanks for all the help.

Cheers

Sampath

profile.country.en_IE.title
PayDaMan
Visitor

I applied on the 8th December, got a letter on the 8th Feb saying that the claim was being processed but still no cheque. :angry:

I think they should give a voucher or something to all the people who have had to wait longer than the 28 days.

Anyone agree?

leebeelondon
Visitor

Can someone at Sony ensure the company honours their VAT refund offer, without the need to enter a claim in the small claims court.

Reference :  C307Z/51591/110245/0001863

I have re-submitted my claim form and the paperwork and have confirmed that the 2nd lot of paperwork was received by Sony at their DISS offices on 21/2/2011. Ihave not had any confirmation or monies refunded to date.

The first lot of paperwork I sent was returned by Sony as they said they couldn't identify what I had purchased and the receipt was unclear.

Without repeating the contents of my subsequent letter I wish to make some points on this forum so other customers can see what depths Sony will stoop to in trying to avoid refunding my VAT.

Sony claimed the receipt wasn't clear and they couldn't identify what I had purchased etc.

In response

The receipt was from an official Sony Centre

It had their own Sony part numbers identifying the goods purchased

It was costed out by Sony and totalled on the receipt

The paperwork was completed by the shop as a goodwill gesture to smooth the way to a quick and easy path for the refund. However Sony say their own staff haven't put sufficient detail on their own receipt to enable them to refund the VAT. It was an automated Sony Till receipt not handwritten !!!!

Sony asked me to identify what goods were on the receipt and how much I had payed for them.

In response

The goods are described and priced by Sony and are shown on their product web pages. They couldn't even be bothered to look that up to make sure prompt payment was made back to the customer. I have sent a link to the web pages to save the staff any effort in loking up the goods & prices.

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/t46-hx-series/kdl-46hx803

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hcs-home-cinema-speaker/ht-as5

plus the wireless dongle at £70

whats happening and when do you intend to honour your contract with me

regards

flintst0ne
New

It looks like Sony finally found my original application and paid my VAT back via BACS and returned my Gaurantee :slight_smile:

It has taken approx 2.5 months.  Not very speedy to say the least?  I also PM'd Lee, but in the end did not need his help, even though he kindly offered to help.

Good luck everyone and hope your VAT back is resolved soon?

CheerZ

PayDaMan
Visitor

:smileyangry::smileyangry: Still no cheque or reply from Sony. No reply from pm to Lee. Next stop consumer rights, advertising srards board and a breach of contract claim.

Went out today and bought a samsung tv which was more expensive than the sony version. Take note sony, betray youre customer loyalty and they will never forget:smileyangry::smileyangry:

leebeelondon
Visitor

PayDaMan

if its any help I called yesterday at trading standards.

I showed them all the evidence so they could review it. Guarantees, offer documents & my correspondence with their DISS offices plus a copy of the comments I and others have made on this forum.

Their advice was

Sony have no right to withold the VAT refund

I should make a claim in the small claims court, costs less than £100 for values less than £5k.

Their opinion was the court will award you any extra cost you incur in making the claim, and an award for expenses if Sony act unreasonably. They have done so far.

They also advised sticking out to the very end i.e. actually refuse to settle if they only offer the original VAT back unless of course you manage to get the VAT back without incurring any additional expense.

it might also help if you

Click on any Sony rep who is listed on the RH side and ( click on their  names ), there is evidence on the new page that comes up of their  activity and participation on this forum i.e. Username, Sony Staff  &  last logged in date and time. Trading Standards advice was that they ( Sony ) couldn't claim they were unaware of the problems being encountered by their customers.

regards

leebeelondon

Message was edited by: leebeelondon

tocarty28
Visitor

I rang the helpline today to find out where my cheque was.  They tell me they never received my claim forms. Unfortunately, while I have copies of what I sent in (PRS-350 bought on 26th November, and claim sent on 10th December via An Post in Ireland) They tell me that, as I did not send it with a proof of delivery, I have no claim. 

Can they do this?

Please advise.

T

StartTheCar
Contributor

Ok, with the promotion now ended and with the vast majority of claims processed, I am going to lock this thread.  However, please feel free to PM directly should you still have any further issues.

Thanks for all your feedback.

Lee