Join now - be part of our community!

VAT refund problems

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
1DissatisfiedCustomer
Visitor

VAT refund problems

I recently bought a Sony tv and there wasn't a European Guarantee Information Document enclosed. I phoned the helpline on the 'Get the VAT-back with Sony' brochure and Adil told me that the till receipt was the European Guarantee. This seems logical as we are in the EU. However, I have been informed that my claim has been rejected, even though I put a note on the form and the call reference number.

I phoned the helpline this morning and I have been told to send a letter giving the details. As I only have 28 days to appeal, concidering possible postal delays due to bad weather, and the fact that I have explained the situation over the phone, and been unable to speak to a team leader as requested, and put the information in writing on the application form, what can I do?

Does anyone know that the elusive European Guarantee Information Document looks like and can Sony send one to me so that I can send it to their promotion company in order to claim my VAT back?

As you can possible guess, I am a very dissatisfied customer!

Q

67 REPLIES 67
StartTheCar
Contributor

Afternoon all, and sorry for not jumping on this one sooner.

To start with, and in an effort to add some level of perspective, this promotion (more than predicted) went into orbit over the festive season.

As a result, and given the almost silly number of claims processed, there was bound to a small number that went a little bit wrong.

Thankfully these have been few and far between and on the whole VAT-BACK has proved to be a pretty easy promotion to support.  For most of our customers, the process has gone smoothly.

Now, I completely understand that in each of the case you present, it has been anything but.  With this in mind and in and effort to resolve the issues, can I ask you to PM me with your name, address and if possible a copy of any documentation you may have (receipts, rejection letters etc)

Assuming they are valid claims (which I am sure they will be) I will make absolutely sure they go through.

For anyone else, please do stick with the process thats in place.  If the completed forms and relevent documents get to the handling house there will not be a problem and all valid claims will be processed.

I look forward to hearing from you all.

Regards
Lee

barraoreilly
Visitor

Hi Lee

Thanks for help resolve this.

Barry

Message was edited by: barraoreilly

HostatheDog
Visitor

Just for some balance, I received my cheque last week.  Thanks Sony.  Hope all the rest of you become satisfied customers too shortly!

profile.country.GB.title
djmars2011
New

hi all,

Not happy i got a very nice TV from john lewis end of november downloaded claimfor filed it out and then got ill over christmas :slight_frown: so posted it 29th dec recorded from ely (50miles from diss) kept traking on post office site kept getting in progress until i got 'there is no information regards your package. please try later' contacted them and they apologise and say they dont know where it is oh well only got my name date of birth account code and the fact i have a very nic brand new tv in my house. how thought full. Anyway I think i saw a Sony number on here that people have called and had problems resolved, i just need to call it and make sure that the claims company wont have a problem with a duplicate reciept from johnlewis on the hope I can get one and then I will pay extra and send it special delivery with the extra inssurance (£6 ish ) so if they loose it again i will claim everything i can. Please if anyone knows the number that would be great help, I will be calling 01379649499 tommorrow just in case its the ineptitude of royal mail and they have recieved it. Oh did you all get notified they had your claim forms straight away?

thanks for any help and time

Danny 

kylie64
Visitor

Another week and still no cheque from Sony.

Rang the hotline 01379649499, spoke to Ellen who said my cheque had been sent 4th Jan, but I hadn't received it, so she would cancel it and issue another. I asked if my documents were sent with the cheque, she said no they would be sent separately, I haven't received them either, she would check and ring me back to let me know when they were posted.

Two hours later no call from Ellen, so rang again, Ellen answered the phone and said she was still checking, I said that this didn't make sense because two weeks previously I spoke to Ruth her supervisor who said the delays were caused by having to match the cheques with the documents so they could be returned together.

Ellen said hold the line I will speak to Ruth, Ellen then came back and said its to do with delays in the post, we send them second class so it can take up to ten days to arrive, so its on its way, well Ellen I have still not received it and what about our first telephone call in which you said you were cancelling the cheque and sending another.

Come on Sony what a disgraceful way to treat your customers, the staff you have on the hotline are lying through their teeth.

For goodness sake just process my claim and send me a cheque that you promissed in the contract you made with me when I bought the TV.

profile.country.GB.title
mikegunnill
New

I am sorry you are having problems. However to be fair, I purchased a television the second week of December my refund arrived a few days ago.

I think your comment " SCAM " is a little hard. I hope you get sorted soon, I am sure you will. We bought via John Lewis and were told, the promotion had been a great success and the refund might take longer than planned.

xpiperx
Visitor

That's funny because SCAM is the word I searched for on the internet too. I've just received my letter telling me my product is not covered by the VAT back offer. Bear in mind I bought this from Sainsbury’s where they had a massive VAT back sign hanging over the Sony Bravia TV I bought. I asked a staff member whether the offer applied to the TV which they replied yes. I duly bought the TV and was given one of the VAT back leaflets. Just image how I feel now to find out the TV was misrepresented in the store. I have spoken to Sony customer service who could only repeat the item is not covered. I asked which Sony products sold by Sainsbury’s are actually covered by this offer and I couldn’t get an answer. This started me wondering whether this offer covers a few selected items as listed on the Sony website but are not actually sold by Sainsbury’s on any other retailer which is very misleading. Maybe a letter to Watchdog to do some more investigating is in order?

IdRatherBeSkiing
New

Got my money after about 38 days from posting. Sony would have known how much interest to expect in the promotion and how long it would take. Its nothing more or less than I expected. just an all round a really annoying marketing method.

StartTheCar
Contributor

Hello

As my above posts suggests, I am happy for any of you to mail me directly and I will do all I can to get the matter looked at asap.  Of those I have already recieved a mail from I believe all are now sorted?!

Best regards

Lee

poliver77
Visitor

Hi Lee,

Please can you help?  I've been trying to contact the claims line for days but constantly get a engaged tone.  I have also tried to contact all the Sony centres in my area but either get an engaged tone or an answer phone.  Very frustrating!

I sent my claim form and original receipt but forgot to enclose my guarantee.  I tracked my letter and it was signed for on 24th December but I've not been contacted regarding my claim.

What should I do?

I'm getting very anxious as I'm worried I have missed the 'cut off' (which from other posts is 28 days) although I can't recall any reference to this on the claim form or from the sales person I purchsased the product from.

Please can you advise what I should do next?

Thanks.