Join now - be part of our community!

Replacing hard wired ac power cord in TV KDL40EX503

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
busb0y
New

Replacing hard wired ac power cord in TV KDL40EX503

Hi, I want to replace my short hard wired ac power cord in KDL40EX503. with a longer cord. Its not simply a plug in job, its hard wired which makes it a pain. It looks like the back unscrews to enable change.  Anyone previously done this? Is it easy or does it need a professional?  Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
busb0y
New

Hi Nic, Thanks for your reply. Yes the easy way is to use an extension which is fine electrically but I want to hide the lead in an existing plastic conduit. The wall mounted TV its replacing had a plug in power cord which I replaced with a longer one (easy!) and was able to hide it neatly. The size of the plug and extension socket is far greater than the conduit, hence my problem. Maybe I will need to replace the conduit with a bigger size but this would not be as neat. If the TV was table mounted an extension lead would be no problem. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @busb0y,

I personally wouldn't mess with a power cable if it is hard-wired to the device.

What speaks against using an extension cord?

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
busb0y
New

Hi Nic, Thanks for your reply. Yes the easy way is to use an extension which is fine electrically but I want to hide the lead in an existing plastic conduit. The wall mounted TV its replacing had a plug in power cord which I replaced with a longer one (easy!) and was able to hide it neatly. The size of the plug and extension socket is far greater than the conduit, hence my problem. Maybe I will need to replace the conduit with a bigger size but this would not be as neat. If the TV was table mounted an extension lead would be no problem. 

profile.country.GB.title
mikeharbour
Explorer

Its not really hard wired in. One screw opens the cover then there is a little white clip inside. Squeeze the top of it anmd it pops out. Now does anyon know where to get a longer cable with a white clip on the end?