Join now - be part of our community!

[Nov 2015] BBC iPlayer - Temporarily cannot access the server

SOLVED
Longbow8

[Nov 2015] BBC iPlayer - Temporarily cannot access the server

Suddenly, no access to Iplayer and error message "Temporarily cannot access the server". TV is hard wired to router at 40Mbps. Computers working OK. Menu option Network>View network status>Check connection gives OK for cable, local access and internet. Refresh Internet Connection does Authenticate and Acquire successfully. However Server diagnostics reports "servers could not be found". Server list is empty and the menu option Update Server List results in a similar "server cannot be found error". Software is latest

PKG4.131EUL-0108

Anyone know what the gremlin is please? Frequently suggested hammer blows of General Setup>Factory Reset and power reset have had no effect.

152 REPLIES 152
Bayboy
Explorer

If the Sony official line is that of the reply to Krusher_59 and that's the end of it for them, then I certainly know where I won't be spending any of my cash in the future. And I am amazed how many family and friends I have when I think about it! There are other brands out there that are just as reliable.

But I still cannot get my head around that Sony would choose to hide behind the BBC decision rather than update the software to link to the new iplayer. Maybe we have all been fooled and our Bravia TVs aren't as technically advanced as all the other brands that continue to work. But what can that be? Is there an issue of memory size within Sony TVs that can't phsically accommodate a new iplayer software link?

I will still wait a while a while before exploding. Hopefully Sony will very shortly broadcast what they are doing to make their TVs and Bluray iplayer accessible, or let the world know what TV and Bluray player models are now OBSOLETE.

profile.country.GB.title
gemarch69
Explorer

I think it is time to involve Which and Watchdog!

I had to intervene with a dispuite that my friend had with Sony last year after his 3 year old kdl-46x3500 went wrong - a £3,500 TV. Sony could not repair the TV and expected him to buy a new one!

My kdl-46x2000 is still going strong, hence I rely on my BDP-S570 for internet access. But this is now useless!

Sony need to issue a fix for my BDP-S570 or replace it with a new unit that does what they claimed the BDP-S570 can do.

robox11
Explorer

Sony Bravia KDL 32EX403 PKG4.131EUL-0108

I contacted the BBC today 30/11/15 and received this reply:

"We’re pleased to say that Sony are now working on a fix for this issue and hope to release this very soon. We will be in touch to let you know when this fix is available, but we thought you might appreciate the update in the meantime".

"We’re sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused and hope you can get back to watching your favourite programmes on iPlayer very soon".

Thanks again for getting in touch.

Kind Regards

Alan Irwin
BBC iPlayer Support Team

So Sony blame the BBC and the BBC say Sony are fixing it soon!

Tags (4)

Well done the BBC iplayer support team for keeping customers updated. Let's hope that they are right!

I will still contact Sony tomorrow, as I said I would, in an attempt to get clarification. 

KSKI76
Explorer

my Bravia is 3 or four years old - and I am frustrated at the lack of support - or info.  My workaround is to get an Chrome dongle or an amazon USB stick and skirt the prob that way. 

I have an older Bravia TV ( 6 or 7 years old) which has no USB and isn't that smart - Good TV though.  Which I partnered with a BDP350 - an excellent machine - but one which ceased to be compatible with IPlayer 18 months or so ago.

My solution - Not to buy Sony a/v . BBC Iplayer is the only catch up service I use regularly, and it grates that I can get BBCi on an Iphone but not on a TV that advertised the package, and for which I pay a licence.

With regard to repsonsibility - Sony have to be seens to be acting reasonably. Not providing an upgrade or alternative is not reasonable - as the Iplayer is seen so to be a part of the feature of the televison at point of sale. given the proliferation of Iplayer services and access, a customer would expect the service to be enhanced, not reduced.  The retailer will bounce this one back to Sony ( cannot blame them), so it will be interesting.

It would be reasonable to ask them to mitigate the loss of service, as the TVs are not even Five years old. Pretty poor from a premium manufacturer.

Will let you know how the Amazon Solution works.... 

Amyone setting up a disenfranchised SONY owners Group ? 

profile.country.en_GB.title
kehammo82

After latest update, BBC iPlayer has disappeared from my BDV-L600😡 Sent from my iPad
Bayboy
Explorer

That's great news robox11. And well done the BBC for letting us know what's happening. Pity Sony are so quiet.

harrogate74
Explorer

I have just phoned Sony (again!). The chap I spoke to said that Sony are talking to the BBC and that hopefully things will be resolved by the end of the week. I asked how we will know if it does get resolved and he was unable to give me an answer!

I am desperate for them to get it sorted as my youngest goes into hospital on Friday and was pinning his recovery (and my sanity!) on having access to the iplayer so we could have a great selection of progammmes to watch once he is home.

Whilst Sony are now obviously aware that there are a lot of unhappy people out there, their responses (or lack of) are vague and unspecific, making me wonder whether they really just don't have a clue . . . . . .!!!

Krusher_59
Explorer

I have had that same response from BBC iPlayer, saying that Sony are working on a fix. I have comtacted Sony Support to confirm and to provide a release date. 

Let's see what they come up with.

Drifter47

I think you may be right with that observation, and it maybe something to do with outsourcing Customer Services to offshore locations. BT is a good example but have now seen the light and bring it back to the UK. Still outsourced but at least in the UK.