Join now - be part of our community!

[Nov 2015] BBC iPlayer - Temporarily cannot access the server

SOLVED
Longbow8

[Nov 2015] BBC iPlayer - Temporarily cannot access the server

Suddenly, no access to Iplayer and error message "Temporarily cannot access the server". TV is hard wired to router at 40Mbps. Computers working OK. Menu option Network>View network status>Check connection gives OK for cable, local access and internet. Refresh Internet Connection does Authenticate and Acquire successfully. However Server diagnostics reports "servers could not be found". Server list is empty and the menu option Update Server List results in a similar "server cannot be found error". Software is latest

PKG4.131EUL-0108

Anyone know what the gremlin is please? Frequently suggested hammer blows of General Setup>Factory Reset and power reset have had no effect.

152 REPLIES 152
Drifter47

Have you read my post above tojohns51 ?

tojohns51
Explorer

Hi drifter47, yes I read your post. I assume you're refering to the bit about iplayer support being withdrawn for the Bluray player. I can imagine there was little demand for that iplayer app if people, like me, also owned a Smart TV. Are Sony really suggesting that the BBC added the iplayer to their devices? Sounds like someone passing the buck. I fond it a little hard to believe they can't load the latest app onto our TV's and other devices via a software download. Youtube also no longer works but I suspect that has more to do with some sort of corporate battle between Sony and Google.

profile.country.GB.title
Stewnorm
Explorer

I have two KDL-40EX403s, one bought 5 years ago new  and another bought 4 months ago second hand  because I've been very happy with the quality, performance and reliability of the model - and the ability to access BBC IPlayer.  Annoyingly, both TVs have this issue with IPlayer:  "Temporarily cannot access the server.  Please retry".  As a Sony devotee (owner of DVD/VCR player, DVD player, HIFI etc) I'm very annoyed at what appears to be Sony's disinterest in resolving this issue.  Unless a positive response is forthcoming from Sony in the very near future, I'll consider writing to WHICH? and raising my concerns.with this lack of support from Sony.

profile.country.en_GB.title
secret_squirrel
Explorer

Sony Bravia TV model KDL-40EX503 software PKG4.13EUL-0108.. I have had same error message since 19/11/2015. I reported it on BBC iplayer website on 20/11/15 as there was no news at that time on Sony sites. 

Like everyone else did factory re-set, checked for software updates. 

I contacted Sony support via the 'contact us' section of the Sony website but have not had a reply.

Is there a better way to communicate with Sony?

An earlier post referred to the withdrawal of iplayer to some TV models. The BBC made the decision last week to move BBC 3 online from February despite a campaign to save it as a terrestrial channel. If the BBC and Sony cannot keep iplayer working on our smart TVs they will be denying us access to services which are paid for through the licence fee.

Bayboy
Explorer

So I have a Sony KDL-40HX803 bought October 2010 bundled with a Sony BDP-S470, to replace my Sony CRT TV, to sit alongside my existing Sony DVD Recorder. The HX was a very expensive TV, but well worth it I thought for the expected reliability and features it offered. A little better I thought than a very good Samsung I was considering at the same time. But I am also now getting the "Temporarily cannot access the server" message. Am I now going to pay the price for a misplaced trust in the Sony Brand or are Sony going to do the right thing and update the software?

I can still access the remainder of the Internet options, but this is the first time I have tried them! Other than the iplayer they are totally valueless to me and my family.

I am waiting for now to see if Sony are going to do anything. If they are working on a solution I don't want to distract them from that effort. But wouldn't you think a corporate News/Issues note should have been added to Sony's Support pages to show what was happening (or not happening) for the TVs/Bluray players that are meant to support iplayer but curently can't? It would at least let us know where we stood.

kehammo82

I have exactly the same on my 5 year old Bravia

Ballcocks
Explorer

Same problem here. With KDL-37EX403 and KDL-32EX403 Also posted a link to this thread on the Sony facebook page
Krusher_59
Explorer

So clearly the fix that was promised to an earlier post for teh 27th November hasn't materialised. I've raised with Sony Support too , but no response yet. Does anyone know if newer models have teh same problem?

Krusher_59
Explorer

So , I have just been emailed by the Sony SUpport to say that "The BBC claim that the version iPlayer used on your device, is currently only being used by a small percentage of BBC iPlayer users, and as a consequence has taken the decision to close the version of iPlayer used by your device. "

It looks like there is no way forward! Other than access iPlayer through an external device or but a new TV!!

Any other ideas out there?

kehammo82

My TV is just 5 years old and cost over £1,000, surely there must be a lot of these in daily use. Sent from my iPad