Join now - be part of our community!

KDL32WD751 wont connect to hifi system?

profile.country.GB.title
wozyh1981
Explorer

KDL32WD751 wont connect to hifi system?

Im trying to connect my Sony KDL32WD751 to my hifi system with an optical cable (rather than purchase a soundbar).

Im connecting to a Marantz MCR611. Once connected with the optical cable the hifi says the connection is 'unsupported' and it doesn't work. 

I have looked on the manual for the Marantz MCR611 and it says it only connects with linear PCM signals, NOT Dolby Digital, DTS, and AAC.

I know AAC is the standard sound configuration on the KDL32WD751, but i i cannot seem to change it to PCM. I have checked through all the settings but without any success?

Can anyone help me with this as from what i can see the settings cannot be changed to PCM, and i guess i probably wont wo able to connect it to the hifi.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Enthusiast

Is the optical cable you are using directional, ie can only be used in one direction, if it is it will have arrows marked on the connecters indicating the direction from output to input.

Have you asked Marantz whether it is feasible to connect a digital television via optical to the Marantz.

On my older Sony TV I used the headphone output to connect to my Audiolab 8000S amp, the cable was a 3.5mm audio jack to 2 Male RCA adapter. The sound quality was very good. 

profile.country.GB.title
wozyh1981
Explorer

Cheers mate the optical cable has a (-) on each end.

According to the online instructions the Marantz will connect to a digital TV, it states this:

Screenshot_20190929-153400.jpg

But like i say it says it only accepts pcm signals and not dolby digital, DTS, and AAC.

The sound setup on the TV is AAC:

IMG_20190929_153810.jpg

I've done a little research online and it says some Sony Bravia TVs can change the sound from AAC to PCM and gives instructions  on how to do it through the menu. However, i have gone through all the settings on my TV and there is no option to do this. Maybe its because its a small 32 inch TV and doesnt have the same technical settings as bigger TVs?

profile.country.GB.title
wozyh1981
Explorer

QUOTE: On my older Sony TV I used the headphone output to connect to my Audiolab 8000S amp, the cable was a 3.5mm audio jack to 2 Male RCA adapter. The sound quality was very good. 

Cheers mate i might try that then. Im a bit hard of hearing too so want to try and find the best sound solution quality wise. Might end up having to purchase a soundbar though