Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-60W855B 3D problem, urgent help needed!

Bubbles73
Explorer

KDL-60W855B 3D problem, urgent help needed!

I purchased this TV yesterday and even though I had spoke to 2 different people in the Sony store and countless store staff from other Sony distributors about the 3D I have discovered that its either broken or not as good as my first 3D set from many years ago that was a different brand and cost a fraction of what this TV has just cost me.

I am no expert but I believe its called crosstalk and their are weird hard to describe flaws and apparently this could be fixed by way of a software update according to some reviewers (I wish I had read before spending my money!) so before I arrange for this TV to be returned for a full refund what is the status of this problem? Is this problem recognized by Sony and being worked on? I am very very disappointed because your own staff from your own store told me that Sony do 3D as good if not better than any other manufacturer, Sony stand for quality and performance.

I have paid a premium price for a TV of this specification and size yet I do not feel I have a premium product, everything other than the diabolical 3D is great but I primarily purchased this TV for 3D and not once did your own staff or the staff from other Sony distributors tell me this product had broken or unbelievably poor 3D capabilities.

I want to keep this TV, its stylish, well built, has great SD and HD picture quality and enough features to keep me and my family happy but without good 3D its a shame but it will be going back.

So is this going to be fixed?

Can it be fixed?

14 REPLIES 14
Bubbles73
Explorer

Sory for the delay. Been very busy lately.

This is the email I just sent to the tech support worker after he suggested the usual troubleshooting tips.

It contains all the stuff I have tried and my current status with the problem.

to customersuppor. My deepest apologies for the late reply as I have been very busy lately.

I realize the review I quoted is not official however I have since discovered many different official and none official forums spanning many years that describe this exact problem and its clearly not an isolated issue.

This old forum thread http://community.sony.com/t5/Television-Picture-Sound/3D-on-an-EX720/td-p/14755/highlight/true is full of people with the same problem, yes I am aware its not the same TV but it's painfully obvious that active 3D and Sony have significant cross talk problems. This thread is mainly regarding an older range of Sony TV's and I have read every single post and it is most certainly the same problem and I am worried that if/when I get a replacement it will be exactly the same and I will have went to the trouble of returning/replacing for nothing.

I have tried everything you have suggested and nothing helps and I have also read many different suggestions from official and none official sources, adjusting the 3D depth can reduce the cross talk in certain parts of the screen but will then make others have worse cross talk, all of the 3D glasses brightness settings make zero difference as does many many different combinations of picture settings, for instance motion flow off, motion flow on makes absolutely no difference at all and I have spent more time than I am comfortable with trying different combinations of settings. I have made sure I "synced" the glasses as per the instructions that I recieved with the TV and as per the different instructions on a troubleshooting Sony page for cross talk issues.

Other things I have tried.

Purchased 5 more 3D bluray movies
New and vastly more expensive top spec HDMI cable
Borrowed my friends 3D bluray player
Downloaded allot of 3D test footage available online
Tried the test footage on the built in media player via USB and via network streaming (Plex and Universal Media Server)
Tried a launch day PS3 and a recent Slim (not even logical to do this but I have tried anyway)
Tried multiple formats of 3D footage (SBS and Over/Under)
Tried 1080p 3D sample/demo footage available on YouTube using the built in YouTube player and the YouTube player on Xbox One, 360 and directly from my PC via HDMI)
Tried many different lighting scenarios and seating positions.

Nothing at all has made a difference.

After reading the sheer number of complaints regarding this problem from many different places USA/EU etc etc (the regional official Sony support forums have many posts that can easily be found) its clear that this is not just an isolated "fault" with my TV, nor is it an isolated "fault" with this specific model and is quite obviously an issue Sony have had for many years with active 3D technology.

The information you requested in an older email is below.

1-Model number: KDL-60W855B

2-Current FW Installed on device: PKG2. 193EUA

3-What is the exact issue providing the maximum details? Rampant cross talk that no matter what settings or course cannot be reduced to a level that is tolerable or in line with other manufacturers.

4-What are the exact reproduction steps? What are the steps you had to go through to get the issue? Press play on 3D content (as described above in my "Other things I have tried section of this email)

5-On which step exactly you got the issue? The part where the 3D video starts

6-Was it working before? No

7-When did the issue start? First day of purchase

8-What Troubleshooting steps did you try? Everything listed on the official Sony website, many different "unofficial" user suggestions, many tweaks to picture settings etc etc (again, further description in my "Other things I have tried section of this email)

Once this issue has been escalated to a higher technical level can you please let me know how I can check the progress of this complaint?

Is my entire email forwarded to the next technical tier of support? (I do not wish to have to repeat what I have already said if possible)

Many thanks for your assistance and I am sad that you were unable to remedy my problem in the way I desire (firmware update) and I thank you for trying.

Any further information or assistance you may be able to offer that could help would be appreciated but I am confident now its the firmware developers who need to remedy this problem.

---------------------------------
End of email

I am doubtfull I will get the fix I want but its worth a try :wink:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the update - I was curious on how you were getting on.

Hopefully Support can help you - fingers crossed.

Laszlo_z_Filcu
Explorer

I have the same problem with KDL-60W855B.

Bubbles73
Explorer

I returned mine and an extremely happy with the Samsung equivalent, such a
shame but I'm happy now.
alexf624
New

Hi,

I have only bought Sony for the past 30 years.

I recently bought a kd-55x850xc with the same poor level 3d as mentioned in your email.

I,like you am awaiting a solution to this 3D problem.

If not,

I will sell or return my tv and  3d Bluray collection.

Kindest Regards

John