Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-60W855B 3D problem, urgent help needed!

Bubbles73
Explorer

KDL-60W855B 3D problem, urgent help needed!

I purchased this TV yesterday and even though I had spoke to 2 different people in the Sony store and countless store staff from other Sony distributors about the 3D I have discovered that its either broken or not as good as my first 3D set from many years ago that was a different brand and cost a fraction of what this TV has just cost me.

I am no expert but I believe its called crosstalk and their are weird hard to describe flaws and apparently this could be fixed by way of a software update according to some reviewers (I wish I had read before spending my money!) so before I arrange for this TV to be returned for a full refund what is the status of this problem? Is this problem recognized by Sony and being worked on? I am very very disappointed because your own staff from your own store told me that Sony do 3D as good if not better than any other manufacturer, Sony stand for quality and performance.

I have paid a premium price for a TV of this specification and size yet I do not feel I have a premium product, everything other than the diabolical 3D is great but I primarily purchased this TV for 3D and not once did your own staff or the staff from other Sony distributors tell me this product had broken or unbelievably poor 3D capabilities.

I want to keep this TV, its stylish, well built, has great SD and HD picture quality and enough features to keep me and my family happy but without good 3D its a shame but it will be going back.

So is this going to be fixed?

Can it be fixed?

14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Crosstalk basically refers to a 3D image that looks like "ghosting" or a slightly off double-image.  Is this what your getting?

Have you Synced/Registered the 3D glasses to the TV correctly (and are they switched on):

3DA.jpg

Also try changing some settings such as the depth.  More instructions are : HERE

What type of content are you trying to watch?  Is it a 3D bluray? 

You could go into a Sony Store and get them to demonstrate the 3D on your particular model.  If its not the same on your TV, swap the TV (if its just been purchased). 

There are 2 types of 3D technology.  Active 3D and Passive 3D.  Your TV supports Active 3D.  Was this the same as your other 3D TV?

Cheers

Bubbles73
Explorer

Hi, been trying to find the reviews I read at home where both reviewers mentioned a strange problem with the 3D that they both said was a software problem but I cant find them where I am now. I did bookmark them on my home PC and link them when I get back.

Tried many original 3D Bluray movies via the PS3 and its like I cant adjust the depth to minimize or get rid of ghosting completely and it also has a strange kind of artifact, glitchy type effect around the edges of things which I have never seen before in the cinema or at home.

I am not an expert with 3D but have seen probably hundreds of 3D movies in the cinema and at home on my last set which was also active 3D so I do know what "good" 3D looks like and I at least expected it to match my last set which was OK but not what I would call great.

I really don't want to return this set, its such a lovely and stylish tv and nothing in the shops in my price range looked better and as far as the picture quality of none 3D stuff goes I cannot fault it and cant see me being able to get better for the same money. What I am hoping for is that I have missed a setting somewhere that will resolve my issue (possible) or it is an actual bug/glitch that Sony are aware of and are looking to drop a software update that will fix it.

It will be after the weekend when I decide what to do so I have a little while to hopefully figure it out. Thanks for the advice.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I do not have access to Sony's bug/error reports and do not know if its a general problem. I have done a bit of a google search and cannot find anything that resembles a 3D issue.

However this forum is not designed for direct contact with Sony, but there are two bits of advice I can offer in regards to your issue.  

1. Visit a local Sony Centre and get them to demonstrate the 3D on this particular TV.  Then compare this to your TV.  If it is in-fact your TV, you may be able to swap/exchange your tv for the exact same model.
  2. Contact Sony Support directly : HERE

Hopefully this assists or helps

Cheers

Bubbles73
Explorer

Firstly, thanks for all the advice. I apreciate it!

Can't get over to a Sony store today but will go on Saturday to demo the 3D, should have done it before I purchased the TV but I was in a hurry lol

I must have only bookmarked one of the 2 reviews regarding this TV and its 3D problems.

http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-kdl-70w850b/2/

"3D: I'm not sure what the issue is, but the 3D performance of the W850B I tested was particularly bad. It suffered from some of the most-visible crosstalk I've ever seen, causing noticeable and distracting double images pretty much everywhere during "Hugo." Worse, fringing and discoloration marred many images, in particular transitions from dark to light. When Hugo lights a match to examine the automaton, for example (17:22), his hands and coat suffered green and red banding in the transitions, in addition to rampant crosstalk in his fingertips.

I tried every solution I could think of to solve the issue, but no dice. I'm guessing there's some flaw in Sony's software that can be fixed by an update, and I have a query in to the company to see what's what. When I hear back, I'll update this section."

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the update - Ill read review a little later (short on time at the moment) :slight_smile:

Please reply back and let me know how you get on - Id be interested to know how the 3D is in the Store. 

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Bubbles73 

Just curious to know how you got on with everything?

Cheers

keabnet
Explorer

I have the KDL 46HX853. Is there meant to be an initial set up on the glasses that came with this model. I was led to believe you just switch these on. If so are there any other suggestions that might improve the 3D.

thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

2014 and 2013 Active 3D TV's uses bluetooth glasses with I believe needs to be 'paired' with the TV first.  The HX853 TV uses Infrared, which doesnt need to be paired, and therefore just switched on.

A couple of suggestions to improve 3D quality:

http://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7942/kw/Improving%203D

http://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11446/kw/Improving%203D

Cheers

keabnet
Explorer

Thanks for your help, I will look at these.

Sent from my iPad