Join now - be part of our community!

Changing Wi Fi signal

profile.country.GB.title
tonkie93

Changing Wi Fi signal

I will try and explain the best I can my problem  :smiling: 

I have just replaced my old Samsung for a new Sony KD-65XG7002 and it’s all set up, but when I was at the network( wi fi) stage and had to choose my router it only showed my main router in my lounge and other routers close by, so I had to connect to the router in my lounge, but here is my problem. I have a booster in my kitchen and the settings in the TV did not pick this up and that’s the one I want to connect to, my Apple TV picks it up and is connected to the booster and that is connected to the Sony. 

So how can I find and indeed connect to the booster when the TV doesn’t even show it in the wi fi list. I hope that all makes sense. 

Thanksfor any advise in advance, Oh and can any advise be in idiot proof :nerd:

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
gcac2828

Experiment with different position of the booster. I solved my same problem this way.

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi @tonkie93,

To achieve your goal of modifying your booster's wireless settings you will need to have at least average networking skills. Wireless networks are way more complex compared to wired networks. If the TV is not picking up the signal from your booster it might be due to the particular wireless signal settings your booster is applying to the radio. In particular it could be that the automatic channel selector function on the booster is set to on and thus forcing a particular channel which your TV does not support. This is particularly the case when you have selected the booster to use the 5.0 GHz radio frequency instead of the 2.4 GHz radio frequency. In order to try to force the booster to change its current channel, you could first swith off all wireless radio devices (routers, boosters, etc.) in the house. Then disconnect your booster from the mains, wait for at least 2-5 minutes, then reconnect it. Then reconnect all other devices to the mains after about 5-10 minutes.

But it also could be that your booster replicates the SSID (network identifier) from your lounge main router. In this case you can not see a different wireless network name for the booster. I presume your booster has a different SSID to that of your lounge main router.

What is the main problem caused by your TV when using your lounge main router?

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
tonkie93

Tried that without success

profile.country.GB.title
tonkie93

The boosters 5G light has never been so it can’t be using that requencey, turned off as you have said, without ant luck, the strange thing is that I have just installed a 4K Fire Stick on the TV and the stick picked up the booster signal straight away. 

The reason I want the TV to pick up the booster is that I get a better interview speed via that with my other device connected to it and when watching a 4K demo via YouTube on the TV if jutters every few seconds which I put down to being connected to the lounge router 

thanks for your input 

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi @tonkie93,

Thanks for the clarification. Every device has its own capabilities by design. Specially when it comes to wireless frequencies, manufacturers are required by the relevant authorities to comply with the local regulations reagarding the use of radio frequencies. So it could be that your TV is adhering specifically to the radio channels as specified for the EU but your booster does not restrict itself in the same way. 

The only advice I could give you is to research the help and support pages of your booster to verify how can you manually set it radio frequency and channel use. It very much also could be that the authentication or encryption setting must be changed. You possibly could try to perform a factory reset on the booster and go through the setup process again in order to force the booster to use the 2.4 GHz frequency and only channels 1 to 10. There are WiFi signal scanners tools which you could install on your laptop or phone in order to check the actual settings the device is using. 

My personal suggestion based based on my experience with all other customers is to avoid using a wireless network connection for your TV. A set of power line adapters can do the job for your TV much better. 

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
tonkie93

Thanks for the detailed response, although don’t understand it all :tongue_closed: 

what I've decide to do is hard wire it, I’m going to add another router in the Conservatory where the TV is and run a cable from the lounge router to the other router as I have other devices that would benefit from being hard wired. 

Im sure I will be back asking more questions when I get round to doing it :yahoo:

Again thanks for your time 

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi,

Very good decision to hard wire your TV. You won’t look back at it!

We are here for you, so feel free to ask us your questions.

Cheers,
Dutchice