Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia TV DL-40 EX403 functions

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
rainbow2011
Visitor

Bravia TV DL-40 EX403 functions

How do I go about setting up my new TV to access the internet.  I have a Netgear wireless router which runs a computer and laptop. one using Windows XP the other Vista.  I have iTunes and Windows Media.  What items and cables will I require.  Also, what is the easiest way to access music from the computer or laptop to play through the TV and my surround sound equipment.  At present we plug the laptop into the TV via HDMI cable, but wonder if there is a simpler way of doing things.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Rainbow2011,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

Another option that you could consider is purchasing a set of homeplugs, something like the TP-Link HomePlug AV Ethernet Adapter Starter Ki

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Testcard

If you want to connect your Bravia wirelessly to your Netgear router, you'll need to buy one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0036XX4G0/ref=oss_product

It's Sony's own network adapter, looks like a long USB memory stick, and plugs into the back of the set. Once it's plugged in, your Bravia should be able to "see" your home network. Log in with your password and you should be connected to the internet. The other alternative is to connect your Netgear to your TV with an ethernet cable, but it's not an ideal solution if the two devices are in different rooms.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Rainbow2011,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

Another option that you could consider is purchasing a set of homeplugs, something like the TP-Link HomePlug AV Ethernet Adapter Starter Ki

rainbow2011
Visitor

Hi Thalamus,

After reading the reviews of bad wireless signals with the Sony adapter, I am more interested in the Homeplugs.  My wireless router stands in the hallway and the TV is some 20 feet away in the lounge.  Could you tell me how the plugs work, what other cables I would need to connect router and TV,  and how they should be arranged.  I would also like to play the music on my computer, which is upstairs,  through the surround sound system installed in the lounge downstairs.  Would this also be possible via another set of these plugs?  Any info you could give me would be great.  Thanks

RickWebTest
Visitor

If you can connect an Ethernet cable from the TV to your router, that is the way to go....However most people can not....

Then you have three choices:-

1) Sony’s USB wireless adapter

The following are non propriety and can be used with other equipment in the future…all cables are supplied

2) A Universal Wifi Internet Adapter that plugs into the TV's Ethernet port

3) Home plugs that also plugs into the TV's Ethernet port

...............................................................................................................

1).........you already know about

2) Netgear Universal Wifi Internet Adapter - WNCE2001-100UKS

http://www.netgear.co.uk/service-provider/products/hometheater/networking-for-home-theater-and-gamin...

I  have the above adapter and works in EX503, it can be powered from the  USB port, also comes with external power supply if you so wish

3) Home plugs ...see the link above...

Also more info here http://www.tp-link.com/products/productDetails.asp?class=&content=spe&pmodel=TL-PA211KIT

If  you have wireless problems in your house, a physical connection may be  required, I'm pretty sure sony will only support their  adapter...........the choice is yours….