Join now - be part of our community!

Apple TV

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
lomialoha
Visitor

Apple TV

Hi folks

I have just purchased a Sony Bravia KDL46EX713 with a Home Cinema system BDVE370 BD 5.1CH  4SAT 850W.

Can anyone confirm if the new Apple TV is compatible with this Sony TV before I purchase the Apple TV? I have asked at the Sony Service Centre (Southampton) and Apple store (Southampton) and no-one can provide a clear answer (why not?). I have also tried emailing Sony directly and what a cock up that proved to be (couldn't actually obtain a direct email address, can you believe it).

Thanks in anticipation of your replies.

Andrew

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi Andrew - not sure why no-one is able to provide a clear answer. Its a yes, Apple TV works fine with any TV as it has HDMI output.

Thanks

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi Andrew - not sure why no-one is able to provide a clear answer. Its a yes, Apple TV works fine with any TV as it has HDMI output.

Thanks

MATTeL
Visitor

Andrew,

Following eduzzel's comments, I have a friend that is using Apple TV connected to his Sony Bravia without issues, he uses it for music and photo slideshows as well as movies.

Mark 

errober86
Visitor

I'm considering buying an AppleTV but fortunately had a look at the discussion on the Apple site about connecting the ATV to a HDMI TV - some 30 odd pages - and the situation is not as simple as you say! There are problems with the the AppleTV handshaking with the HDMI connection on some TVs which include some Philips and Sony models! Neither Sony nor Apple seem to know what the problem is.

iGlad1959
Visitor

I was thinking of buying an ATV but as I bought a Bravia 32ex403 and going though the menu I realised what it was able to do after googling DNLA. I downloaded some free software called Serviio and loaded it on my Macmini opened up a couple of ports on my router and bingo I was streaming ALL my movies, music and images on my external HD which is attached to my Macmini upstairs directly onto to my Bravia downstairs I saved myself £99 in the process. I'd try this before you splashed out £99 on an ATV.

Catmambo
Contributor

Apple make some wonderful products.....but Apple TV is not one of them IMHO. If you are after a media player, checkout the SMP-N100 http://www.sony.co.uk/product/usb-media-players/smp-n100

Thanks

SMP-Net
Visitor

I have the SMP-N100 and have been playing with it for a few days now.  Its good, but could easily be better.  Sony did not allow the player to run MP4 files over DLNA which is frustrating, they must be converted to DIVX which is easy.  But I have yet to sort the audio sync with teh video file.  Currently it looks like a satellite news report where the audio does not match the video!