Join now - be part of our community!

SVR-HDT500 Play Back on a Different TV

profile.country.en_GB.title
JuanToomany
Visitor

SVR-HDT500 Play Back on a Different TV

Hi Everybody,

Is there any way of copying a recording from the hard drive and playing it back on a different TV.  You can't copy to an external hard drive unless it is formatted via the recorder, but I suspect that would make it unreadable by other devices including computers. Is this the case?

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

You can copy the recordings off the PVR onto another HDD or USB drive (for backup purposes), but you will not be able to play them at all. This is because the recordings are encrypted to your particular PVR recorder. You can not even play them on another HDT500. I know, I tried !!

Hope that answers your query.

profile.country.en_GB.title
JuanToomany
Visitor

Hi Quinnicus,

Thanks for that, it confirms what I suspected. We have TVs in other rooms and sometimes it would be good to watch some recordings on them (not all the family are interested in all the programs). I understand the desire to stop pirating and sharing but these measure throw the baby out with the bath water.

Thanks again, Juan

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats ok. I fully understand what you mean about throwing the baby out with the bath water.

I tried to copy a couple to TV shows from my HDT500 to a USB Drive, and put it onto my mums HDT500, that worked, but the files just wont play. Kinda like what one used to do with VHS tapes (sharing). But these encryption crap just encourages people to download/pirate/torrent etc etc.

I dont fully know the ins and outs of it, but its not all Sony's fault. Its something to do with DRM requirements (D-Book specifications) on the DVB-T2 (HD tuners) as a standard - encryption. But Sony did take it one step further and encrypt recordings of SD channels (DVB-T), which they didnt need to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeview_(UK)#Copy_protection

Hope that explains it better

cheers.