Join now - be part of our community!

Can't get stereo downmix to work on BDP-S480

profile.country.en_GB.title
stevetpearce
Visitor

Can't get stereo downmix to work on BDP-S480

Hi,

I recently purchased a BDP-S480 to connect to a cheap F&H TV set (with no built-in DD/DTS decoder). It works flawlessly playing stuff over the network, even TV recordings straight off my MythTV backend which is a real boon.

Unfortunately, the DVD/Blu-Ray playback isn't so good. When connected via HDMI, vocals are very low or missing altogether. I'm no expert, but it sounds to be as if the centre channel isn't playing. No matter what combination audio settings I use on the player (Auto/PCM, DTS/Downmix PCM, DD/Downmix PCM, Surround/Stereo) the result is exactly the same. I would have expected that I need to set player to downmix DD and DTS to stereo, which I think I've done, but I still cannot have workable sound output through HDMI.

I'm working around the issue by using component input into the TV - the analogue stereo channels work just fine. Unfortunately I don't have an amp near to this TV, so I have no way of playing analogue audio alongside HDMI video.

Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong? The TV I'm using is an FH-26LMG - there's not much in the way of set-up options there! I'd suspect the TV but surely if it's being downmixed correctly by the player I wouldn't be able to hear the rear channels (only) playing (e.g. when playing Ferris Bueller on DVD all I can hear is the occasional bit of street or classroom atmos - no other audio at all). When plugged into my plasma screen in the basement everything is fine, but that does have a DD/DTS decoder built in so I suspect it's still getting a surround sound datastream and downmixing internally..? Oh, and I've tried two different leads as well!

Thanks in advance,

Steve

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.en_GB.title
jpd1009
Visitor

Hi Steve,

Just came across your post.

I am in aus and have the same problem. My bluray player is bdp s185, however it looks like the setting you are playing with are the same as mine.

What I can add is that I run my bluray through a Bose lifestyle system and it displays the output type during playback.

When it plays a bluray, it shows PCM 2.0, when it plays a DVD it shows DTS 5.1

It's driving me nuts, have you been able to find a solution?

Thanks

James