Join now - be part of our community!

PRS-T1 crashing/freezing

profile.country.en_GB.title
jopearc22
Visitor

PRS-T1 crashing/freezing

I like the T1, I really do. But, the reader application isn't stable when used in conjuction with the touch screen function.

When reading an epub book, including the 'sample' books, prior to adding any books from my own library, I can read the book quite happily if I change pages by using the hardware buttons. If however I use the 'swipe' function of the touch screen I will after a certain amount of time (could be 2 pages, could be 20) find that the touch screen is unresponsive. Sometimes I can carry on reading using the hardware buttons, sometimes I get a message telling me that 'reader application has crashed' and that I should 'force close', other times I have to reset the device.

I realise that this is a new operating system. I quite like the device and will happily hang on to it if you can assure me that this is being worked on and that a patch is somewhere on the horizon?

29 REPLIES 29
profile.country.de_DE.title
hannsgg
Visitor

Hi!

I've seen this thread has been quited deserted for some time, but I just got my device and had the same problem of the quickly advancing pages and the froze touch screen.

I thoght the device had a defect and changed it for a new one, without much fuss, only to discover that my new ereader seems to work even worse --it doesn't do anymore the quick page flipping and the page turning stops working, but it's not actually like the freezing issue I had before, because when I go back to the menu it still works... at least more or less, since this time it just seems the response of the device is really poor.

Does anyone have any new info about this?

I'm going to take it to the store and get a new one again, and if the problem persists I'll just get a Kindle --I really like my Sony PRS-T1, but I want a device in which I can read my books.

carpetmojo

Have you installed the latest updates/fixes ?.03 is now the latest I think, and reports seem to agree it has solved most problems so far.

If still no-go, have you done a reset ?

hannsgg
Visitor

Thanks for your answer!

Yes, I had the latest update I could find.

Is there any other special way of 'resetting' it? I mean, yes, I had no other option than resetting the device (reset button at the lower part of the reader and then power button) when it froze, but the problems persisted :slight_frown:

I found it weird when I read in some forum that some people couldn't find the reset button, when at least for me it's kind of obviously and easy-to-see placed, at the bottom with the word 'RESET' clearly written, might there be another hidden reset button for a full reset of the device?

I read something about 'hard reset', but if this is something different, I haven't found it. I also tried resetting to the original settings and formatting the memory (from the settings menu), but somehow I feel this doesn't do the full recovery of the system I was expecting, just deletes the content.

Do you have any other advice?

carpetmojo

Are you using Linux ? Won't work then.

But Mobile Read Forums has a lot of discussions about the topic, worth having a look anyway.

If you're using Windows - or Mac - this shouldn't be happening.

hannsgg
Visitor

Yes, I'm using Windows and, unless I missed something, I tried everything I could (at least, which the most 'obvious' solutions) and they kept on failing quite often.

I'm trying my third device now, which I got in a different shop, hoping they got it from a different set and is in a good condition --fingers crossed.

Thanks a lot!

hannsgg
Visitor

Well, you can be happy if the update solved the problem for you, but in any case it's a fact that these releases are not final and have not happily solved it for everybody and, as you say, that Sony does not take any interest in what people discuss in their own forum :slight_frown:

carpetmojo

Sorry jopear !  Brain-fade I'm afraid !

Sorted....:smileyblush:

jopearc22
Visitor

Happy to say that this problem has been hapily resolved by the latest realeased firmware upadate from Sony.

Still think its a shame that they don't take any interest at all in thier own discussion forums!

andrewtlocke
Visitor

Hey believe it or not this suggestion actually worked. Reader froze just after loading it up with a bunch of books and reading one. Some hardware buttons worked, but no touch-screen functionality, couldn't even shut the device down due to the on screen question it asks when you try to shut it down.

came to this forum, saw this suggestion. pressed the power/shut down/sleep button four or five times, and it fired back up!

Nice.

~a

AIRE84
Visitor

So I applied the update (1.0.02.10280) & it only became worse, not so much the flicking forward through pages fast as much, but the screen became irresponsive during nearly every use of the device.

I've now installed the latest one (1.0.03.11140) if this doesn't fix the issue entirely then I'll be contacting sony's support centre for a replacement or suitable alternative, I'm pretty surprised such an issue can be allowed to persist & no information relayed to their UK customers either.

Some features that would be handy:
All orientations available, not just 2 (learn from the kindle & any tablet, come on)
More font sizes