Join now - be part of our community!

PRS-T1 crashing/freezing

profile.country.en_GB.title
jopearc22
Visitor

PRS-T1 crashing/freezing

I like the T1, I really do. But, the reader application isn't stable when used in conjuction with the touch screen function.

When reading an epub book, including the 'sample' books, prior to adding any books from my own library, I can read the book quite happily if I change pages by using the hardware buttons. If however I use the 'swipe' function of the touch screen I will after a certain amount of time (could be 2 pages, could be 20) find that the touch screen is unresponsive. Sometimes I can carry on reading using the hardware buttons, sometimes I get a message telling me that 'reader application has crashed' and that I should 'force close', other times I have to reset the device.

I realise that this is a new operating system. I quite like the device and will happily hang on to it if you can assure me that this is being worked on and that a patch is somewhere on the horizon?

29 REPLIES 29
AIRE84
Visitor

Dear Sony,

please chime in on this issue, many people are affected by it & it's quite annoying & realistically shouldn't be happening for a new device.

How it happens to me is usually the following:

swiping pages using the touch screen will occasionally make the device skip forward over several pages really quickly & the screen becomes unresponsive.
only solution is to hit the home button, but that's just to stop it going too far off your actual page.

then putting it into sleep mode & bringing it back a few times will re-enable the touch screen.

Mine has done this at least once for every time I've used the e-reader.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153031

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152853

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153174

Sort it out or I'll have to go with a different company for my e-reader, I was disappointed amazon didn't bring the kindle touch to the uk & that the T1 was great on paper as an alternative, but now I find that any head start you may have will be potentially lost over this issue which I've yet to see has been acknowledged.

Alex

jopearc22
Visitor

Is it to much to expect Sony to make some sort of reply?

The problem with this product is not simply going to 'go away', even a 'coming soon', would help to aliviate peoples worries. Come on Sony, play the game and tell us what you are going to do to make this product work correctly.

profile.country.nl_NL.title
pe1dnn
Visitor

Today I can join the users with the "paging/freeze" bug. I had days  without problems until I just woke it up from standby. The unit started  paging back by itself and after pressing Home it showed the home page  and no response any more.

I still have a few days to decide but if there is no response from Sony  in the next few days I think I will have to send it back.

malifact
Visitor

I'm having the same problem.  My first T1 was experiencing the page turning and freezing problem just from viewing the onboard user manual.  I had to a hard reset five times within two days and so I sent it back to Sony.  The replacement unit is experiencing the same problem; the pages will start turning rapidly, it will eventually freeze and only the buttons will work.  I have to a hard reset when this happens, as the touchscreen will not work at all.

rofreer70
New

I am also having this same problem. Please Sony, at least respond. Is this problem being looked into? A fix on the way?

Other than this I am very happy with the device

Thanks

carpetmojo

I am really sorry to say this, as I was looking at it as answering a present requirement soon (!), but it seems the T1 has been released without a thorough testing process - it's the only answer I can come up with to explain the problems that are occurring with the new "flagship"  model - aimed at the "non-premium" sector, presumably. (Or sensibly priced considering the opposition, as some may say....)

Actually, it would seem now to be the only  Sony reader, sadly, and released just in time to be in the running for the important Christmas market - or not, if publicity about these glitches gets widely known. It's not just here in Europe, but all over , so we're not being picked on in any way !

Once again, I cannot understand how a concern of the standing of Sony have shot 'emselves in the foot again.

I have to say the company seemed to be making real efforts of late, with support etc... and I've had some excellent help dealing with a service problem recently.

But it would seem that, again, there are two sides to Sony - the helpful and knowledgeable guys in the field, and on the other, the design and marketing "gurus"/suits who, again, have a good idea, and then seem to be unaware how important it is for the thing to be actually as good as they think it is.

Rant over.... :slight_frown:

andowle
Visitor

Another user with the rapid page flicking and then the screen freezing.  Very disappointed, took the first one back to the Sony Centre after a day and the replacement is doing the same.

Come on SONY SORT IT OUT - otherwise i may have to look at another make

Cgmpippins
Visitor

I thought I would add my experiences as they are similar.

At first 'swiping' works fine, then it needs a more deliberate (longer?) swipe and a 'prod' won't highlight a word anymore.

Finally, a swipe sends it into hyperdrive and 15-20 pages fly by before I can press the 'back' key to stop it.

At that point it is essentially frozen and needs a prod with paper clip on the reset button - after that it works fine for a while.

I've read only 3-4 books on it and it has done it at least once on each of them so it's going back to the Sony Centre as soon as I can get there.

profile.country.nl_NL.title
pe1dnn
Visitor

Sony USA posted this yesterday:

https://forum.sel.sony.com/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=11588

So maybe some progress is made now.