Join now - be part of our community!

PRS 650 Locked Solid

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Flymo_Foe
Visitor

PRS 650 Locked Solid

My PRS-650 has locked up :smileyangry:. It is connected to nothing and the screen shows the following;

Top RH corner says USB Connected

Top LH Corner says  USB

Centre Screen reads Charging Stopped and there is a symbol of a battery with an Exclamation mark in a triangle and an arrow pointing to the battery terminal

Bottom of screen is a text box reading "The Reader is unable to charge as no power supply is being detected. Please check that the charger is plugged in and switched on  or that the USB cable is correctly connected"

This happened whilst my ereader was connected to my MAC.

I've tried the paperclip in the reset hole - nothing :slight_frown:

I've tried holding the power switch off for 5 seconds - only thing that does is make the little red LED next to the switch flash a few times - then nothing. Now that the battery is completely flat ( I suspect) even the red LED doesn't flash. :slight_frown: :slight_frown:

I went through the site support hoops and the advised that I get a repair done, but the site doesn't list which service centre repairs ereaders. One service centre gave me  the number for Sony Central and just as I finished the selections ( press 2, press 3 press 1 etc etc) I was told ( at 16:59) that they close at 17:00 for the weekend.  :angry: :angry: Not what I'd call service that

I travel for a living I bought the eReader ( first and last one I suspect)  to avoid having to carry books on planes. I'm revising my opinion -  books don't break down like this do they :smileywink:.  I've just spent several days away with NO BOOK and I'm very frustrated!!!

I'm considering taking it back to Derby Sony Centre and asking for a refund as it is clearly not fit for purpose. :slight_frown:

Has anyone got any suggestions?  Can it be Hard Reset?

13 REPLIES 13
lozwesson
Visitor

OK, I had exactly the same problem. A brand new reader, wouldn't charge from (Apple) USB mains adapter, Mac, or PC. After it had powered down, charging light would only come on for a few minutes before it would boot and give the charging stopped message. Lots of resets later, no joy. If I removed USB, would boot, then tell me battery discharged and switch off. After reading this thread, was ready to take it back - but did some other searching and found a better solution!

Turns out that if completely run down, the e reader won't charge from a standard USB or via PC/Mac. Not sure why, but the (optional, not supplied with reader) charger does work. I don't have one of those and didn't want to buy one, but I do have a Sony USB charger for the PS3 remotes - and that worked fine! Not sure what the difference is between Sony chargers and the others I tried, but it did the trick.

I hope this helps someone else, I've wasted 2 hours of boxing day trying to solve this!

maddy1952
Visitor

hi

ive been here most of the day trying to sort this e reader out its lucky its not gone out the window. mine says charging battery [all day in fact at one point it did say charging complet. now its back on charging battery. also i have no idea how to put the free books on i downloaded them have them waiting in my documents and now im stuck has all the tips on sony dont work for me

anyone can help me?? id be so grateful has im not a computer genius

maddy

lozwesson
Visitor

Don't despair Maddy!

If the red light was on during charging, it probably is charged - particularly if it said charging complete.

What I didn't say is that after I'd charged mine, when it started up it still showed the previous screen that it had locked up on (can't remember what that said now). Anyhow, I forced it to reset by using a paperclip in the reset button next to the power socket and it was fine. I'm guessing that's what you need to do (see earlier in thread for instructions on doing a reset). Notice you need to press the button, then use the power slider, pressing the button alone doesn't reboot it.

Putting books on it is a pain, but it does work! I had problems using my mac and ended up downloading the book on the PC and then dragging it to the reader on the mac. Once you've downloaded the reader file, open reader library, then drag it into the drag it into 'library' (in the left pane). If the reader is connected, it should appear below that. Drag the book(s) title from the right pane into the reader and you're done.

Good luck! It's worth persevering, the reader is really good!

Laurence

profile.country.nl_NL.title
wkuiper
Visitor

Had this problem with my PRS-600 which was pretty annoying as it happened during vacation as I took it along instead of paperbooks. After running down it refused to charge with standard usb-charger.

Led blinked a bit or did nothing and now and then red charge led cames on but stopped shortly afterwards.

resets did not help.At home I managed somehow to get it charged again connected to PC with reader program on.Whether that was  necessary or the complete rundown caused reset, i don't know, I tried resets as well and anyway it works again.

I now charge it connected to PC with reader program on but when PC goes to sleep- or standbymode charging

not only stops but the reader dischargs extremely rapidly. It was as good as empty in no time.

There must be a flaw in the soft- or hardware. When I contacted Sony NL by telephone I learned that charging problems (had) occured but since not mentioned on Sony site did not offcially exist.

They memtioned that guarantee has been prolonged from 1 to 2 years as off  July 2010 but not for an

earlier purchase. In my case I bought it in August/Sept 2009, so no guarantee.

Sort it out and pay for repair yourself was the message.

I am afraid the charging problem will return.  Anyway with service  like this which is no service I will

go for Sony again soon.