Join now - be part of our community!

PRS 650 Locked Solid

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Flymo_Foe
Visitor

PRS 650 Locked Solid

My PRS-650 has locked up :smileyangry:. It is connected to nothing and the screen shows the following;

Top RH corner says USB Connected

Top LH Corner says  USB

Centre Screen reads Charging Stopped and there is a symbol of a battery with an Exclamation mark in a triangle and an arrow pointing to the battery terminal

Bottom of screen is a text box reading "The Reader is unable to charge as no power supply is being detected. Please check that the charger is plugged in and switched on  or that the USB cable is correctly connected"

This happened whilst my ereader was connected to my MAC.

I've tried the paperclip in the reset hole - nothing :slight_frown:

I've tried holding the power switch off for 5 seconds - only thing that does is make the little red LED next to the switch flash a few times - then nothing. Now that the battery is completely flat ( I suspect) even the red LED doesn't flash. :slight_frown: :slight_frown:

I went through the site support hoops and the advised that I get a repair done, but the site doesn't list which service centre repairs ereaders. One service centre gave me  the number for Sony Central and just as I finished the selections ( press 2, press 3 press 1 etc etc) I was told ( at 16:59) that they close at 17:00 for the weekend.  :angry: :angry: Not what I'd call service that

I travel for a living I bought the eReader ( first and last one I suspect)  to avoid having to carry books on planes. I'm revising my opinion -  books don't break down like this do they :smileywink:.  I've just spent several days away with NO BOOK and I'm very frustrated!!!

I'm considering taking it back to Derby Sony Centre and asking for a refund as it is clearly not fit for purpose. :slight_frown:

Has anyone got any suggestions?  Can it be Hard Reset?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
lozwesson
Visitor

OK, I had exactly the same problem. A brand new reader, wouldn't charge from (Apple) USB mains adapter, Mac, or PC. After it had powered down, charging light would only come on for a few minutes before it would boot and give the charging stopped message. Lots of resets later, no joy. If I removed USB, would boot, then tell me battery discharged and switch off. After reading this thread, was ready to take it back - but did some other searching and found a better solution!

Turns out that if completely run down, the e reader won't charge from a standard USB or via PC/Mac. Not sure why, but the (optional, not supplied with reader) charger does work. I don't have one of those and didn't want to buy one, but I do have a Sony USB charger for the PS3 remotes - and that worked fine! Not sure what the difference is between Sony chargers and the others I tried, but it did the trick.

I hope this helps someone else, I've wasted 2 hours of boxing day trying to solve this!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Flymo_Foe,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

I've tried the paperclip in the reset hole - nothing :slight_frown:

Was this how you tried to reset your Reader.:smileyconfused:

1. Reset the Reader by pressing the RESET hole with a small pin or clip.
    /support/attachments/412833/prs350.PNG

2. After 5 seconds, slide the POWER switch to restart the Reader.
    The content and settings stored on the Reader are not affected by resetting.

Notes

• The bookmarks, highlights, handwritten memos, or the setting information may be deleted by resetting.
  • The screen will not change after pressing the RESET hole. Slide the power switch to restart the Reader.
  • Do not push the RESET hole with a breakable point, such as the  graphite of a mechanical pencil. It causes the RESET hole to be blocked.
Flymo_Foe
Visitor

Hi Thalamus

Many thanks for your rapid response! :slight_smile:

I followed your instructions and lo and behold it reset and I left it charging whilst I had dinner.

I returned to find it in the same state as described before...:smileycry:

I reset it again within 5 minutes on charge the same thing happened.

It's not the USB port as other things charge off it fine still.:smileyplain:

A the moment I've reset it again and its on charge with a completely blank screen.

I'll keep you posted.:smileyconfused:

Flymo_Foe
Visitor

Nope, status quo resumed see first post.

Damn :cry:

Flymo_Foe
Visitor

Now it won't reset again!  :angry: :cry: :angry:

Have I got a duffer or is anyone else having these problems? :thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Flymo_Foe,

try doing a hard reset.

The following procedure works on a PRS 350 so hopefully it will work on your PRS 650..

Warning this will delete all content on your Reader and restore it back to factory settings..

Reset the Reader by pressing the Reset hole (1) with a small pin or clip.

After 5 seconds, slide the Power switch to restart the Reader.

When the screen displays Opening book

Press and hold both the < (2) key and & magnify + (2) key simultaneously until the Reset all screen appears.

Once the Reser All screen appears press the Options button (3) to continue.

Hard reset copy.jpg

Flymo_Foe
Visitor

I never got to try that Thalamus but thanks for the response. :smileygrin:

The nice guys at Sony Centre Derby swapped the unit out for me when I described the symptoms. :slight_smile:

Fingers crossed that this one works for longer than the original  :cool:

Lets hear it for Sony Centre Derby! Hip Hip Hooray!

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

The nice guys at Sony Centre Derby swapped the unit out for me when I described the symptoms. 

Taking your reader back to the store would have been my next suggestion..

Glad to see that you've now got a working reader again, happy reading..:smileyhappy:

HillHiker
Visitor

Thank you Thalamus, I’ve only had the 650 for a week, I had a similar problem already, only mine was that I had the lock set so that I had to enter a PIN every time the reader restarted, whether from sleep or shut down, so I didn’t keep changing the PIN, it had been set from the day after I got the device, and a number I use on all my similar devices,(not bank cards though), but Friday it wouldn’t talk to me, just sat with the on screen keypad blinking every time I entered the PIN. But thanks to your advice at least its awake now, and at least all my books are on my laptop ready to be loaded again, once again a BIG THANK YOU.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

You're welcome HillHiker, glad I could help..:smileyhappy: