Join now - be part of our community!

PRS 350 won't connect properly-appears in devices but nowhere else

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
technicaltitch
Visitor

PRS 350 won't connect properly-appears in devices but nowhere else

Dear all

I'm running Windows 7 Home 64 bit and connecting my PRS 350. When I connect it I get a message saying the PRS 350 launcher has installed correctly, and when I look in the Devices panel I get "Sony Digital Book Reader" with three device functions listed below it - Sony PRS-350 Launcher USB Device, Sony PRS-350 USB Device, and USB Mass Storage Device. All of them say they are functioing correctly, but none have drives associated, (when I click 'Populate'), and neither the Sony Reader Library, nor Calibre, nor the firmware updater can connect to the PRS, so I can't get anything on or off it. The battery does charge.

Any ideas please?

I've tried turning everything off and on again. I've refreshed the drives listing. I've disabled and enabled each device. I've uninstalled each device, unplugged and reconnected, (and then turned everything off and on again). I've tried connecting the PRS while on and off. I tried waiting until the battery had finished charging. I've checked and there is no PIN lock on the device. I've confirmed I can connect other USB Mass Storage devices to my laptop (HDD, flash disk, & an SD card reader) and they all work perfectly.

Looks like a lovely device, but its appeal is somewhat diminished by not being able to put anything to read on it.

Thanks hugely for any ideas or thoughts at all

Chris

Message was edited by: technicaltitch

Message was edited by: technicaltitch

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
PuppyDog
New

Hello TechnicalTitch

I'm sorry I can't help directly with your connection problem because I have a Windows XP computer, but I can thoroughly recommend a Windows Help Forum which I have been a member of for many (10+) years. I am sure if you post a problem on their site (Using the Windows 7 forum link) that you will get an answer.

You will have register in order to post a query but I guarantee that your details will be safe and you will not suddenly be inundated with spam. I use this forum all the time for the problems I have with various bits of Windows and Office.

The starting link to the portal is

http://www.eileenslounge.com/portal.php

Soorry - forgot to say that, once registered, you need to click the Board Index link to see the Windows7 link.

Hope this helps

PuppyDog

Message was edited by: PuppyDog

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
PuppyDog
New

Hello TechnicalTitch

I'm sorry I can't help directly with your connection problem because I have a Windows XP computer, but I can thoroughly recommend a Windows Help Forum which I have been a member of for many (10+) years. I am sure if you post a problem on their site (Using the Windows 7 forum link) that you will get an answer.

You will have register in order to post a query but I guarantee that your details will be safe and you will not suddenly be inundated with spam. I use this forum all the time for the problems I have with various bits of Windows and Office.

The starting link to the portal is

http://www.eileenslounge.com/portal.php

Soorry - forgot to say that, once registered, you need to click the Board Index link to see the Windows7 link.

Hope this helps

PuppyDog

profile.country.en_GB.title
technicaltitch
Visitor

Thanks for the tips PuppyDog.

I tried plugging the PRS into my XP work computer and it worked fine, so looks indeed like an OS issue. I'm going to reinstall Windows (I've tried everything else) to see if that helps...backups running...