Join now - be part of our community!

Keep having to soft reset PRS-650...

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
graystevens
Visitor

Keep having to soft reset PRS-650...

Hey all,

My PRS-650 seems to have moments where it won't come out of standby at all, even though its got plently of battery life still in it etc.

Flicking the standby switch gives me nothing.. no lights etc. Connecting it via USB does nothing also, it seems to be just locked up completely.

The only way I can start using it again, is to give it a soft reset, and it starts working normally again (sans missing where I was in my book.. bit of a bugger).

Is this a bug, or is it some dodgy hardware?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Unfortunately already tried a hard reset, just before I started this  thread, so looks like I might be giving Sony a call. Ah well,

Ah thought it was worth mentioning, as you say Sony support is probably the way forward..

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Drumzman
New

Hi graystevens,

Before coming to the final conclusion that there is a problem with the hardware or the software, I think I'd be tempted to first make sure that the battery is fully charged.  I do note you say that the battery still has plenty of life, but have you charged it recently?  I've discovered from my own experience that the indication on the Reader's display is not always accurate if the unit has become very discharged (because of the way e-Ink screens refresh, and can even still retain a screen image after the battery is completely flat).  Actually even in the back of the manual it says: "The battery icon does not indicate remaining battery power during charging".

What you describe above does have some of the symptoms of a low charge level in the battery - even when you connect to a computer, if the battery is really low I have known it take about 45 minutes before it comes to life and the display comes on with the USB connected message.  So for this reason I think it worth giving the unit a full charge before doing anything else: the best way to check this is, is not to look at the battery symbol on the display, but look for the little red light next to the power switch.  Regardless of what it says on the display, once the red light has gone out you know you've got to a full charge (just make sure that the computer hasn't gone to sleep though as this also would switch off the red light before full charge has been reached).

Hopefully worth a try at least, and might help.  Best of luck!

graystevens
Visitor

Thanks for the reply Drumzman.

I gave you suggestion a go, and charged the ereader via the mains, for a good 3 or 4 hours, just to make sure it got a good charging. Its made it up until today being absolutely fine, before only just requiring a soft reset to come out of standby mode.

I wish I could blame it on the battery but that doesn't appear to be the case? Looks like I might have to give Sony a call... not impressed

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi graystevens,

before you contact Sony I would be tempted to try a hard reset, if that doesn't resolve the problem then contact Sony..:smileywink:

The following procedure works on a PRS 350 so hopefully it will work on your PRS 650..

Warning this will delete all content on your Reader and restore it back to factory settings..

Reset the Reader by pressing the Reset hole (1) with a small pin or clip.

After 5 seconds, slide the Power switch to restart the Reader.

When the screen displays Opening book

Press and hold both the < (2) key and & magnify + (2) key simultaneously until the Reset all screen appears.

Once the Reser All screen appears press the Options button (3) to continue.

Hard reset copy.jpg

graystevens
Visitor

Hi Thalamus

Unfortunately already tried a hard reset, just before I started this thread, so looks like I might be giving Sony a call. Ah well,

Cheers for you helps chaps.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Unfortunately already tried a hard reset, just before I started this  thread, so looks like I might be giving Sony a call. Ah well,

Ah thought it was worth mentioning, as you say Sony support is probably the way forward..

graystevens
Visitor

Terrible customer services from Sony... Rang them up and explained the issue, so the woman said I'd have to send it in, which is understandable. I explained it was a gift at Christmas and such don't have the reciept, and that the other person isn't going to still have it after 5 or 6 months - so she put the phone down?

Nice to see customer support are living up to their stereotypes.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

That's not good...:smileyshocked:

I'm sending you a private message..:smileywink: