Join now - be part of our community!

de authorizing

profile.country.en_GB.title
sukoike
Visitor

de authorizing

my daughter is taking over my ebook and thought she needed to register in her name. Now she can't transfer new ebooks to the device because 2 names are registered and now she can't get the books. What should we do?

4 REPLIES 4
Drumzman
New

Hi sukoike,

This depends a bit on which way round you have two names registered.  A computer that you use to manage your Reader device can only to registered to one person at a time, and similarly the Reader itself can only be registered to one person (ID) at a time.  My guess is that there is now a mis-match between the Adobe ID registration for the computer being used and the Reader - in other words the same Adobe Digital ID and password must be used for both the computer and the Reader to be able to transfer and successfully read copy-protected eBooks.

When your daughter took over your eBook Reader, is she using it now on a different computer?  If she is, and created her own Adobe Digital registration for it, but your old Reader is still authorised to the account that you created, this is where the problem lies.  Your daughter would need to de-authorise the Reader device and then re-authorise it to the same Adobe ID that she created for her computer.

I've made a few guesses here as to what I think is happening, but perhaps if you can supply some more information about the combination of computer(s) and the Reader itself your daughter is now using then I can happily provide some more specific help?:smileyhappy:

dagross33
Visitor

Hi Druzman,

Sorry to jump in on somebody else's post, but I think I'm having the same problem and it's driving me crazy! It's a long story though, so I hope you're concentrating.

My husband and I were given an eBook reader which was authorised in his name on our old computer.  I then got my own one a year later and I remember we had loads of authorisation problems because I must have authorised the devise in my name, but the computer was in his name.  Anyway we must have solved it in the end because the new devise worked with my old computer, but I think I must have registered it in his name.

Now the old computer has died and I'm trying to use my new Apple Mac to download books and every time I try to transfer books it gives me the same error message about being authorized to another user.  I think the computer is in my name but the devise in my husbands.  Can you tell me how to deauthorize a devise on a mac.  I've tried holding down ctrl and shift and pressing d and it did nothing!!

Thanks,

Katie

Drumzman
New

Hi Katie,

No problem with 'jumping in'! :wink:

I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with MAC, but there are a couple of things that you could try.  Forgive me for comparing with Windows for a moment (as that's what I'm familiar with), but I'll try and translate to Apple-speak in a moment if I may.  First, I'm assuming that you are using the Sony Reader Library software that comes with the device?  If you are, then to de-authorise the Reader if you were using Windows, for the Ctrl+Shift+D you mention to work you need to have the Reader Library software open (with the Reader connected to your computer of course), and you must make sure that the Reader is selected in the menu list in the left hand column (so that the main window is displaying the content on the Reader device in other words).  The Ctrl+Shift+D will only work in de-authorising if the Reader is selected.  So, to translate to Apple terms, I would follow the same procedure as above, but as to the keys to press, my guess would be to try Command+Shift+D.  Sorry for my lack of MAC knowledge, but I hope this might work for you.  If these keys do work, hopefully you should see the 'status' icon in the left hand menu of Reader Library rotate briefly (and you can always click on the 'status' icon which will display a list of recently carried out actions ..... the last of which I hope would be 'De-authorise Reader'). :slight_smile:

Good luck - I'd be interested to know if this is successful for MAC.

dagross33
Visitor

Hi Drumzman,

I gave it a go and it didn't work so ended up calling the Sony Call Centre.  Spoke to a nice lady (even though it was clearly an outsourced overseas call centre) who said I could only de-authorize on my old computer and had to press Ctrl+Shift+D at least ten times.  Luckily my old computer just about survived through this ordeal and although I didn't notice any change on the screen, she then told me to look it Settings-About on the eReader and the second paragraph said it wasn't Adobe Authorized!  Yeah!!

I'm thinking I probably could have done the same thing on my new computer if I'd pressed D a few more times - I think I pressed it about 20 times, so if anyone else is struggling...just keep pressing D!

Katie