Join now - be part of our community!

HX9V Firmware update PLEASE!

SOLVED
profile.country.hu_HU.title
Tacsko_69
Visitor

HX9V Firmware update PLEASE!

Dear SONY,

I've recently bought this amazing camera. I've changed from DSLR, because the size and handling wasn't comfortable for family photos. I think You've done very good job with this product, to put in great features in a single device.

However, I suppose, the hardware deserves a new firmware.

The biggest problem is a noise reduction, what makes the details and colors of pictures smudged. It should be good to set the level of NR by user.

Another important and missing function to save pictures in RAW. I'm sure the hardware can handle this correctly, providing great images.

As I've found on the net, most of users and testers would wish this upgrade, to make the camera more useable.

Please, inform Us about the progress of firmware development, because I hope it worth to wait for a good news.

Thanks for Your help, and answers

Best regards,

49 REPLIES 49
profile.country.es_ES.title
Cocodrilo-Che
Visitor

It is one of the stars of the brand.
Should not forget to buyers who have trusted Sony.
profile.country.GB.title
kenneve
New

Have just seen the following comment from 'blaireau_photo' relating to problems with a TX10 camera.

'Finally, the nature of the electronics industry usually means that a firmware update is only released to fix a fault with a device as opposed to offer improvements'.

As I assume that the writer has some connection with SONY, does this mean that all the forum members interested in this post are wasting their time, asking for a firmware update for the HX9V.?

In my opinion the shortcomings relating to this camera are faults and should be attended to ASAP.

If SONY regard them as improvements, then they should say so, so that the longstanding and loyal customers of SONY can draw their own conclusions, and move on!!!

profile.country.en_GB.title
nicolli45
Visitor

Sony, you really need to listen to your customers. There is a lot of negative chatter on the internet regardig the noise reduction and compression issues with pictures from the HX9V.

The camera and its technology is very good, however the achillies heal is the picture quality when viewing closely. The level of noise reduction being used on the pictures is simply too much, it ruins what otherwise would be excellent pictures.

You really must release a firmware update to correct this. I totally understand the concept of the auto modes on the camera, however selectable controls in "P" mode to adjust the level of noise reduction and compression used on the images would be an excellent addition to the camera.

I am a few days into owning a HX9V, I can still return this for another model (and am seriously considering this), so please listen to your customers, post a firmware update, and make us all happy!!!!

Best Regards

LeeBradbury
Visitor

I too have recently purchased the HX9V only to find the levels of compression on the images to be too high and loosing detail on the pictures I have taken.

I was directed to this thread from a Google search regarding the issue and have noticed that a few review sites have started to pick up on this.

I'm tempted to return this camera as I believe that this is unacceptable on a camera of this price range,
although would like to think that Sony will be addressing the issues raised in a firmware update.

Here is hoping that Sony are actually listening to us !

profile.country.GB.title
kenneve
New

This item was first posted 30th Sept 2011 and some 3 months on, there have been 23 replies to date, all agreeing with the original subject. Added to this, are other similar posts on this forum, with basically the same subject, plus many from other photographic forums around the world.

One can deduce from this, that there must be hundreds of dissatisfied customers, all asking for a firmware update for the DSC-HX9V camera.

I just can't understand Sony's reluctance to reply to these concerns, if only to say that they will or won't issue an update, within a specified date, which would put right, what could be a truly great camera.

It seems to me that the required Firmware modifications, are only a matter of tweaking compression and noise reduction values, similar to what one would do, in photographic editing programs, like Photoshop et al.

How hard can it be??

profile.country.ru_RU.title
DalVn2012
Visitor

Hello from Russia!
The same problem. Poor quality of jpg-images. My dsc-p100 (SEVEN years old) has better quality.
Please update firmware!!!
And you have to think about a few thousand sony-people who don't write on forums. And about my friends (canon-people) who laugh when see photos from my sony.
profile.country.FR.title
dbeaugra
New

Same thing here in France.

My old DSC-P200 produced better pictures.

Please Sony, give us a clear answer : will you or not update the firmware ?

If not, I'll sell my HX9V and will never buy Sony again.

profile.country.pt_PT.title
IvoLeite
Visitor

As I said before, I agree that there's to much JPEG compression and the file sizes are to small for a 16.2MP sensor.

dktreesea, don't use the PMB, use the Windows Photo Import that appears when you connect the camera to the computer.

Photos taken with this camera:

http://olhares.aeiou.pt/IvoLeite

profile.country.cs_CZ.title
BedrichHudecek
Visitor

Hello Sony,

JPEG compression is too high and pictures are awful. Let us know if you are planning release new FW or not. I believe many people is waiting for this answer.

My friends laugh me that I spent so much money for this camera when see my photos. Unfortunately it is true -  they have much more better pictures using their "cheap" not Sony cameras. These complains certainly will not increase reputation of your company. This camera is my first product from you and probably the last. Unfortunately I can not recommend your products to other based on this experience... Hopefully the new firmware will be released to fix this issue and give people to choose jpeg pictures quality...

NOTE: I usualy do not write to forums but I had to register and let you know I am very unhappy as many others users who spent money for your product!!!

Best Regards,

Beda

Thomas789
Visitor

I don't know why some people complain about the high compression here. This is completely unsubstantiated. I have the HX9V for about 6 weeks now, and I have not noted any compression artifacts. My file sizes are about 3-6 mb depending on the scene, and that is consistent with a quality setting of the JPEG compression of 97% (one can estimate the quality factor by re-compressing the image; if the file size stays the same, then this is the factor the original file was saved with in the camera). I have never seen any image deterioration for a JPEG quality factor below 85%; and only if one goes below 50%, will the artifacts be a serious issue.

It is also incorrect to draw conclusions here from compression factors in cameras with a much lower pixel count: if one has twice the number of pixels in an image, then there is also twice the probability that two pixels are the same, so the image can be compressed more without losing any information (just create a 1000x1000 image with a uniform colour in your photo editor, if you save this as a JPEG, it will result in a 6KB file regardless of the JPEG quality chosen; this compression is thus lossless, as is a large amount in a normal photo where many pixels will be identical).

If you want to have reliable test shots to compare with different cameras, just go to http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM . I made my decision to buy the HX9V on the basis of this, as the image quality outperforms all other compact cameras I compared it with. It even can compete with some entry level DSLR's like the EOS1100D as far as the image quality is concerned.

Thomas