Join now - be part of our community!

PMB hangs while trying to analyze current video environment

SOLVED
profile.country.el_GR.title
koomou
Visitor

PMB hangs while trying to analyze current video environment

Hello all.

Well, the title says it all, really. I have a HDR-CX155 handycam, and the included PMB (v.5.0) used to play without a glitch on my old winXP Pro SP3 box. Unfortunately, that box now sleeps with the fishes, so I had to go out and buy a new one. I opted for Win7 PRo 64-bit (woe me). I tried installing the bundled PMB, and then tried installing the newest PMB I downloaded from Sony (v 5.8). In both cases I get the same behaviour: the installation runs smoothly, up until the installer tries to "Apply the standard settings". There, it says "Inspectng the current video environment" and never proceeds - it's currently in that state for about a day, so I think it's safe to say that it has hung.

Moreover, I tried installing PMB on a virtual machine (windows XP mode). It installed without a glitch, however I am unable to import the video files I have, because the VM is not recognizing the attached camera as a camera, but rather as an external disk, and I can't for the life of me find where I can tell PMB (on the VM) that this is actually a camera and not an external disk.

Any help with either of these issues is greatly appreciated, as I have a boatload of data on the camera, that's been sitting there for more than a month now.

Tags (3)
14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.el_GR.title
koomou
Visitor

Thank you.

While the manual transfer/convert was a solution, finally making the software work as intended was really gratifying.

gomesl
New

Thanks for the advice. I had the same problem with installation of PMB hanging during installation with windows y 64bit. Installation in safe mode with network made it go through the whole process in seconds.

In Windows 7 64 bit, right click your PMB icon. Select "Troubleshoot Compatability" Follow instuctions in the next window. It should tell you that it needs to run on XP SP2. Select the option to do so. It will tell you to open the program to see if it works. Once the settings take place, select "Always run in this environment" (Or something similar)

Additionally, you can right click the icon and select "Properties". In that window, select the "Compatability" tab. Check the box that reads "Run this program in compatability mode for". From the drop-down menu, select "Windows XP Service Pack 2". Service pack 3 will probably work as well, but it does indeed work in SP2

Jeff

elyo_1
New

I have had the same problem for some time now, never quite finding the time to sort it out.  I too have been transfering my pictures via Windows Explorer.  However, running out of memory because of the number of movies/video still on the camera (Sony DCS-HX5).

I found this forum at the first attempt, which was very helpful.  I took Elderly Iron's second suggestion i.e. right click icon/properties/compatability/etc....

I have Windows 7 Pro 64-bit:

Windows XP (Service Pack 3) did not work for me but as suggested,

Windows XP (Service Pack 2) did work.

The process was completed in a matter of seconds....absolutely smashing!

Thanks for all your suggestions.

dzcues
New

I updated from XP to Win7-64 bit and couldn't get PMB to work properly.  I'm not as computer literate as some here but I tried everything I could handle but nothing worked.  

FINALLY, another site suggested installing the program (I have a disc for PMB 5.5.02) as normally but don't open it.  Then, open CONTROL PANEL, SYSTEM &SECURITY, and ADD PMB and PMB LAUNCHER to the PROGRAMS THAT WERE ALLOWED BY WINDOWS FIREWALL.  

I did that, connected my camera & viola!  PMB proceeded to complete the installation & opened like always.  Everything is fine now & the solution was easy enough that even I could handle it.