Join now - be part of our community!

cx220 still image quality poor

markc4d3d
New

cx220 still image quality poor

I know this is more of a budget camcorder but it wasn't bought for anything other than our first child, the occassional holiday etc.  The video quality is quite good in my opinion for all it cost me.  The still images however for supposedly being 8.9mp are pretty poor.  My cell phone a sony experia mini takes better images.  The manual etc is next to useless for image settings so I'm not sure if I'm just overlooking something simple or if its just a bad camera for still images.  Saying that however I have seen supposed still images from the camera and they are 10x what mine are, quality wise.  Here are just 2 I had left over after trying deleting changing settings trying again.  The light isn't the best (but its not dark either) and even photos taken in very bright light or even outside have the same grain / jagged edge effect to them... Any help or suggestions would be great, is the image quality just way over-rated by sony?

heres one that isn't great but isn't horrible either.. I seem to have gotten rid of the 'jagged' edge look by messing with it

http://tinypic.com/r/zslnw7/8

And here is one that is alot better,
http://tinypic.com/r/256xpc8/8
Am I possibly just overlooking something? Or does the cam really lack in the still image capabilities?  The car photo is zoomed in before taking it so yes I did expect possibly some distortion, but wouldn't expect as much as that and yes they were taken later in the evening compared to the better pic taken during the day where the sun was shining into the room through a window to the right of the image. 

Any help would be great

1 REPLY 1
ronross40
Explorer

I have the HDR-PJ810E and even though it is a high end entry Sony model, the still images are very poor quality compared to my Samsung Phone Camera or any camera that I posess. All reviews of these range of camcorders regardless of brand seem to confirm that you should use them for videos and avoid using them for stills. So I will hardly every use my Sony camcorder for stills.