Join now - be part of our community!

Advice on getting reception on the KD49XD8088. And streaming from a NAS

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Halloween_Jack4
Explorer

Advice on getting reception on the KD49XD8088. And streaming from a NAS

Hi folks,

I've bought the above tv and it's my first new tv in many years. I know very little about how evrything connects these days.

I just have a Sky+ SD box and the sat dish at the moment and I'm wondering what options I have to get the new TV recieving tv stations.

We don't watch Sport or Movie channels, just the old terrestrial channel mostly, with the odd thing on Challenge, Dave, Animal Planet and a few standard stations like that.

Because of this, we're hoping to do away with our provider subscription, and have some option to watch and record FreeView/Sat or whatever.

This TV has 2 Satelite sockets at the back and I'd heard that I could connect the Sky dish directly to it. But I couldn't seem to get anything to come up or acknowledge I'd connected the dish.

I'd also read that the TV doesn't come with a FreeSat guide so maybe that's the issue?

So I'm not sure which route to go.

Should I buy a £25 ariel to see if I get good enough reception?

Should the TV work as is, maybe with an app for FreeSat or something?

Do I need a FreeSat Box, like the Humax HDR-1100S?

I read that this TV can be connected to a HDD to record TV shows. Would this be like the Sky+ Box, or far more limited? 

We do often need to record 2 shows at once and watch a lot of stuff back like that. So can the TV do this or should I really get HDR box?

Basically we're looking for similar functionality of the Sky+ box with the free channels.

As well as TV reception I'd also like to know how to get files on my NAS to play on the TV.

Can this be done by the TV or do I need an external device.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Halloween_Jack4
Explorer

Thanks mate,

I ended up getting a FreeView box as I heard FreeSat didn't have Dave.

The Humax DTR T2000 and it seems pretty good.

A shame the functionality isn't in the TV but you can't have everything. :slight_smile:

I found an indoor ariel did the trick.

Also, if anyone's interested, I found the app Kodi does a great job of streaming from my NAS.

So I think I have everything working...

Thanks for your reply though :slight_smile:

Cheers

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Apologies that your question has been missed.  Going through your questions, I think the best thing to advise you on, is for a dedicated Freesat box.  Even if Sky allows you to keep their box - as far as I am aware, they lock it so you cannot record to their box.

It is true that Sony does not provide a satellite EPG.  Only one for Freeview.  Also, you cannot record satellite channels via USB recording either.  Hence my recommendation for a Freesat box instead.

See:

https://www.freesat.co.uk/get-freesat

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Halloween_Jack4
Explorer

Thanks mate,

I ended up getting a FreeView box as I heard FreeSat didn't have Dave.

The Humax DTR T2000 and it seems pretty good.

A shame the functionality isn't in the TV but you can't have everything. :slight_smile:

I found an indoor ariel did the trick.

Also, if anyone's interested, I found the app Kodi does a great job of streaming from my NAS.

So I think I have everything working...

Thanks for your reply though :slight_smile:

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool - glad you got everything working :slight_smile:

Cheers