Join now - be part of our community!

55x8005c HDR

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
march83

55x8005c HDR

I played the test HDR clip from Life of Pi on my 55x8005c and it appears to switch to HDR mode. The picture looks good and I lose access to all picture controls. If I try change brightness or enter advanced settings it says feature not available. Is this normal behaviour for HDR content played back from a USB stick? Everything I can find says this model doesn't have HDR and I don't have my mention of HDR in picture settings but something seems to happen when playing this demo. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have had it confirmed multiple times in the past.  Please have a read of this thread:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-hdr-firmware-update-12th-april-kd49x8005cbu/td-p...

Cheers

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

This seems normal behaviour to me.  In regards to why HDR is not mentioned in the manual, see my answer HERE

Cheers

Turtle711
Explorer

Hi I'm baffled by this too I have the same model and I've been emailing Sony for about 2 weeks now they don't seem know what they are on about, I've yet to be emailed from someone English so I think there's a language barrier or something, there's no HDR mode in the video settings like I've seen from videos on YouTube but I've never seen any posts about this HDR mode automatically coming on do you know where you got the video to download to USB? Curious to test this on mine as I though Netflix and Amazon stream HDR but not sure if that is happening yet as I don't see any changes like you say when playing them! Does the picture look drastically better too?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Turtle711

A couple of small threads you might want to look at. 

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/amazon-prime-hdr-not-working-on-x8509c/m-p/2058289

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/how-do-i-watch-hdr/m-p/2059050

I think there is a general confusion over HDR and im seeking to get to the bottom of things.

Cheers

Turtle711
Explorer

Thanks yea looked into the Amazon stream stuff but nothing shows to play in HDR and the video doesn't automatically change, appreciate the help as am I getting no where with the Sony support team via email I have even directed them to this link to investigate but they just say your tv doesn't support it!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

They are correct.  I have had it confirmed that these are the models that support HDR

X85C, S85C, X91C, X90C, X93C and X94C

So the X8005C does NOT support HDR.

Cheers

xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

Just for some clarification, I put my KDX558509C into "Game" mode when on the Home screen. I then used VLC player ( as ironically the built in Sony Video app can't playback the Life of Pi clip ), and put the Life of Pi UHD/HDR clip onto a USB stick and pressed play on the clip from VLC. 

My TV then automatically goes into HDR Video on the picture settings when the Video clip starts and I CAN mess about with advanced picture settings whilst in HDR Video mode. When the clip has finished and VLC Home screen pops up, my TV is automatically back in "Game" mode ( or whatever mode like Cinema or Standard that you were on before starting to play the clip ).

So HDR content should play back natively if encoded correctly and your TV supports it.

Just out of curiosity to the original posters, in your picture settings accessed through the action menu on your remote, do you actually have a HDR picture option?

Turtle711
Explorer

Hi cheers for info, my tv doesn't have the HDR option like march says above but I've yet to try downloading HDR content and playing it through the tv to see if it goes into a HDR mode as he says, I'm just annoyed at Sony as they promised it would be HDR compatible before I purchased the tv and now they deny everything and say it doesn't but they are not clear at all

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I also assumed (wrongly) that it was HDR compatible through various comments as well as this article (the first one i came across) :

https://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/129947/

Under the applicable models and categories, it list your model - something i aim to get rectified.  Upon checking other HDR articles, there are inconsistencies in models in other articles

As you have just purchased your TV, speak to your retailer and get a model that does do HDR ??

Turtle711
Explorer

Well I bought the tv from Amazon in November but it wasn't Amazon who told me it was HDR compatible i never asked them it was Sony I rang and they told me yes it would support it, so one would assume Sony is liable for replacing the tv as they have miss sold it? is this tv compatible for a future update? I also just tried the life of pi HDR footage and it does look good and the picture settings cannot be changed when it's playing but it doesn't say HDR mode or anything when playing. Not sure if it is a standard thing though that you can't alter picture settings on downloaded videos or not.

Sent from my iPhone