Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Deanfeuillade wrote:

My KDLW50809C has just alerted me to a new update. Anyone else got this?

Yes - see

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/new-firmware-april-12/td-p/2164278

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@Anonymous could you give me a link to the UK firmware for USB install please?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Risc0n wrote:

@Anonymous could you give me a link to the UK firmware for USB install please?

I cant.  Seems that its network download at this stage.  Will find out though.

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

Cheers @Anonymous

MaxUHD

Other than break Netflix what does the firmware release do? Are there any release notes? I'm not going to consider downloading it until I know if it provides any advantages.
Jimmyjamh
Explorer

@AnonymousJust to keep you updated. I've updated my KDL50W807C and have no obvious issues at the moment. Update took around 25 minutes. Netflix is still working OK for me.

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

Whats the version number for UK?

profile.country.GB.title
John1950Hitchin

@royabrown

@Garymjh wrote:
This thread has become too irritating and daft to follow.

As far as I know, it is not obligatory for you to do so?

But the root fix is in Sony's hands, where these 562 and still rising pages stand in reluctant testimony to their continuing failure to achieve this sad

Not quite, of all the 563 pages most are negative but some are replies of replies and a few are positive. It does seem to be an all and everything thread, which the OP started was 2015 Brava Android TV issues but it looks like everything but the kitchen sink is in here. It's hard to find a particular fault in all this and it's solution. Maybe the thread should close and then people could look down the new thread lists to find what they are looking for.

Just my thoughts.

profile.country.GB.title
Gpevans99

Hi yes, not sure what it has done but you view doesn't work

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@John1950Hitchin wrote:

@royabrown

@Garymjh wrote:
This thread has become too irritating and daft to follow.

As far as I know, it is not obligatory for you to do so?

But the root fix is in Sony's hands, where these 562 and still rising pages stand in reluctant testimony to their continuing failure to achieve this sad

Not quite, of all the 563 pages most are negative but some are replies of replies and a few are positive. It does seem to be an all and everything thread, which the OP started was 2015 Brava Android TV issues but it looks like everything but the kitchen sink is in here. It's hard to find a particular fault in all this and it's solution. Maybe the thread should close and then people could look down the new thread lists to find what they are looking for.

Just my thoughts.

@John1950Hitchin

Well, given the thread title, there's hardly a post here that is off topic.

As for having threads for individual problems, that would be great, but there aren't a large number of those that can be taken one by one, and of those that there are, even fewer have a solution beyond 'wait for the next software release, and see if that addresses it'.

Quinnicus has a good thread though, where he has tried to list out the individual problems, one per posting, and any solutions or workarounds that have come up.

One problem is fragmentation; apart from 3D versus non-3D and UHD versus HD and Triluminos versus the other thing, there aren't any real distinctions, so all those threads that start with a model number and screen size are just too specific, and what is the exact same problem gets lost in a welter of 55 versus 49, and spec this versus spec that, and so on.

Also, I guess any one of us could live with a couple of beefs about the sets, which we know will get addressed I time.

But it's the sheer cumulation of lots of low level issues, and every update bringing new ones along with the old ones it fixes, that causes this long, long, thread whose common message is 'Should I have bought this set? Can I live with this set? No I shouldn't have bought this set. So how do I unencumbered myself of this set? Here's how to get rid of the set. Gee, I got an XXX instead and now I feel so much better'.*

Looked at like that, and not for tips on this or that glitch, which do belong in other threads, and you can see the logic of it, why it's grown, and how it is actually very focussed,

So I stand firmly behind my view that Sony have brought this on themselves, and the remedy ought to be in their own hands.

*Of course there are the holdouts who only scratch the surface of what the TV is supposed to be able to do by using it as a monitor, effectively, on their Sky boxes, and because even Sony Android can't screw that function up, think it is lovely, as indeed the picture quality is, and therefore DONT UNDERSTAND. Lucky them, is all I can say, apart from 'Why not just buy a monitor, then?'

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking