Join now - be part of our community!

SONY ALPHA 700

profile.country.en_GB.title
semaj01
Visitor

SONY ALPHA 700

I have a Sony Alpha 700 camera which I have been using in conjunction with my PC, to download and edit photos.  I have not had many, if any, problems doing this, other than complications when shooting in RAW and downloading, transfering and editing subsequent files. Recently(yesterday), I purchased a new laptop, for the purpose of editing and manipulating photo images. I tried to load the supplied CD(which had worked fine on my PC), with dire consequences. The computer crashed completely. When I collected my repaired laptop from the shop, the engineer explained that the CD was only useable with 32 bit operating system and my new computer has Windows 7 64 bit. I contacted Sony support and was told that Sony Alpha 700 can only interact with 32 bit systems. IS THIS CORRECT. If so, I find it incredible, not to mention soul destroying.

Does anyone need a new Acer 5750Z with Windows 7 64 bit and Photoshop CS5.

HEEELLLLLLLLP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 REPLIES 2
geoboyd77
Visitor

I hope I followed your A700 issue correctly. It may well be that the A700 has difficulty talking to W7-64, but this can be overcome. I have the A700 - a wonderful camera - and my camera has never spoken with (ie been directly connected to) the pc or had the disk downloaded. First of all I remove the card from the camera and download the images direct from the card (used a card reader, now have a pc with card slots). You may be doing the same, so apologies if I'm rambling here.I see on the Dyxum site a suggestion to download images from the camera using PTP and not Mass Storage.

I assume the disk has the RAW process software? Have you tried a download from the Sony site rather than the disk? More importantly, have you tried Lightroom? I find it far superior to the Sony software, and while it can be a bit costly, it's cheaper than selling your new laptop. Lightroom is much faster, more extensive, has more elements to secure a quality image, and can batch process. And you don't need CS5. So all is not lost.

Finally, as a matter of interest, I downloaded the A77 disk and it crashed my W7-64 new pc, making an unholy mess of things; I managed to remove the software, bin it and do not plan to access it again. Go for Lightroom.

Message was edited by: -Cass-

Edited for personal details

gimp69
Visitor

Download the latest software from the Sony site, you might need to get the latest version from the A77 download section rather than the A700 download section.

It's nothing to do with your A700, it is the SOFTWARE that is the problem.