Join now - be part of our community!

Northern Lights - trip to Norway next month - any advice on settings for my alpha-100?

profile.country.en_GB.title
tonyhaseler
Visitor

Northern Lights - trip to Norway next month - any advice on settings for my alpha-100?

Northern Lights trip to Norway next month with my dslr-alpha100. Any advice on settings, colour balance etc?

2 REPLIES 2
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello tonyhaseler - welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

For your trip (sounds exciting!), I would advise that you do the following:

• Make sure that you have the focus set to 'manual'.
  • Keep to a higher ISO i.e. 800 ot 1600.
  • If possible, keep the exposure time as long as possible (adjust shutter speed to upto 30 secs).

I have never had the priviledge of seeing them myself, however I have heard people say that because they are constantly changing natural phenomenon, you should be prepared to have quite a few attempts at it before you get it right!

Enjoy your trip,

Simon

Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

One tip I would add to Simons post is more general advise rather than settings. Keep a few batteries handy since in colder conditions, battery life is reduced.

Keep them in an inside pocket until required. I was out in Sweden a few weeks ago with an average temp of -18 degrees C and was only getting about 30 mins out of my battery until I kept them up to a decent temp by putting them into an inside pocket.