Join now - be part of our community!

NEX 5 remote control?

profile.country.en_GB.title
stormnick
Visitor

NEX 5 remote control?

Hi all

First post - I've just ordered an NEX 5 last night so no doubt the first of many posts! Really looking forward to receiving it later this week.

Quick question - is the remote control RMT-DSLR1 compatible with the NEX 5? The Sony website doesn't list the NEX 5 as a compatible product, but I have seen a retailer advertising it as compatible (the same retailer also claims that it'll work with an NEX 3 so I'm taking it with a pinch of salt!).

If so, does its usefulness extend beyond just remote shutter release?

Many thanks, Nick

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

The Lens & Accessories leaflet that came with my NEX-5 lists the RMT-DSLR1 as an accessory for the NEX-5 range only on Page 16. 

It cannot work with NEX-3 as that camera does not have the IR Remote Control Sensor.

I'm afraid I have not tried it - I bought a cheap compatible £5.99 third party IR Remote Release which just gives Shutter Release/Half Way/Bulb facilities.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Infrared-Control-Milnolta-IRMT-DSLR1/dp/B002VM49KC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UT...

The RMT-DSLR1 should give remote playback as for the other Alphas.

:wink:

stormnick
Visitor

Thanks very much, Blencogo.

I really should just wait til I get the camera before I ask any more questions, shouldn't I!?!

PDE4UK
Visitor

i bought one of these too. works brilliantly with my NEX-5 :slight_smile:

MagicJ
Visitor

DId you order the remote that was suggested? i.e. the cheap 3rd party one off amazon? If you did can you tell me if you can use it to start video recording? Thanks in advance

stormnick
Visitor

I did, Magic, yes. I paid about £5 if I remember correctly.

It has two buttons, one which releases the shutter immediately and one which delays it by about 2 seconds.

As far as I can I tell, there's no way to use it to start video recording. I might be wrong but I think its only use is for single shots.

Hope this helps.

Nick

MagicJ
Visitor

Thanks for that Nick

I think ill still go with the remote.. you cant really go wrong for £5!

stormnick
Visitor

That's exactly what I thought, Magic. The one I bought is not a bad bit of kit at all - nice and compact, with a rubberised back, and it came with the battery too - you're right, you can't go wrong!

I actually bought mine from ebay - it was £3.99 delivered so that might be an option...

Good luck with it.

Nick

profile.country.GB.title
GreggLonewolf

Does anybody know of a remote control for the NEX-5 that allows you to start video shooting ?

Both of the remotes listed above seem to be limited to the stills shutter release only.

Ideally, I would love to be able to get a remote which allows remote stop start of video and can also allow you to set various timer delays, along with the ability to take shots over a set interval of time (i.e. a single shot every second, or minute, or hour, etc.)

The Canon's have this functionality and if Sony play their cards right they could have a Canon and Nikon beater on their hands before the other DSLRs have been able to establish a strong foothold.

Come on Sony, give the consumers what they want and they'll buy your products - simples !

profile.country.fi_FI.title
ledelectronics
Visitor

Trigger VIDEO RECORDING on/off and shutter release on Sony NEX-5 and NEX-7 cameras by CAMremote-2:

This is the first device in the world which is able to trigger video recording remotely on these cameras!

Link has been removed due to it promoting a commerical business which is not allowed on the forums.

Message was edited by: -Cass-