Join now - be part of our community!

Catastrophic Shutdown

profile.country.en_GB.title
davidphilipstafford
New

Catastrophic Shutdown

i have a vaio VPCF23P1E which periodically [as little as an hour or as infrequently as a month] just shuts off without warning as if the power lead and battery have both been instantly removed. it has done it from new. generally everything else is fine and it is used for work on a daily basis.

Has anyone any idea what could be causing the problem.

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi David,

This is difficult to diagnose if there is no BSOD or warning. Check the CPU and GPU temperature with a utility such as PC-Wizard and let us know the results when the notebook is under load.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/pc-wizard.html

If temperatures are normal then there is a possibility of a power board problem.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
JohnSinclair
Visitor

Similar issue on same machine. for over 1 year now been experiencing blue screens of various descriptions followed by a shutdown after 10 seconds or so. Sometimes there is no blue screen, it just shuts down. Started within 3 days of buying the machine. Been on the phone to Sony so many times and sent it back once. they didn't experience the problem during that time so basically they did a system restore and returned it. they have told me to try so many different things to resolve this but nothing works. they keep telling me to do a system restore again and again, which I have done 3 times so far!. I am getting to the end of my tether now.

Message was edited by: JohnSinclair

Message was edited by: JohnSinclair

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi JohnSinclaire,

If the notebook is still in warranty do you have a note of the date and case number provided by Support when the machine was sent for repair?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
JohnSinclair
Visitor

Yes I still have a year warranty left. It was sent for repair during June 2012. And yes I have the case number.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Can you please PM me the case number so that we can escalate this?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Although PM correspondence has taken place JohnSinclair has not provided the original case number so it is assumed that he does not wish this question to be escalated.

I will therefore close this thread.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat