Join now - be part of our community!

Netflix FAQ

profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Netflix FAQ

Hi all

Thought I would provide a comprehensive and consolidated FAQ on Netflix as pretty much all the questions have already been answered, but may well be spread across different threads. Will update as new questions arise or if anything needs further clarification.

• Will my device get Netflix?
    • Simple answer is, if it hasn't got it already, then it won't be getting it I'm afraid.

• What devices do have Netflix support?
    • All 2012 platform BRAVIA's, Blu-ray players, Blu-ray Home Theatre Kits and Google TV. For clarity, this does not include the BDP-S185 and HX923 BRAVIA's which although still retailed in 2012, are actually based on the 2011 platform. As a rough rule of thumb, if its available to currently purchase on the this website, then it should be compatible.

• Why can't my device receive Netflix when its available on previous US TV's from the same generation?
    • DRM requirements have changed since Netflix first launched in the US a few years back. Thus its now mandated that the devices have to support Playready as well as supporting specific browsers to deliver a consistent experience . Only 2012 devices deliver on both of these criteria and so unfortunately its not possible to backport it to previous models due to the changes in requirements. We recognise this is a huge frustration for customers and have have examined every angle when it comes to finding a workaround, however it has not been possible unfortunately.

• Netflix appeared on my device temporarily and now isn't there, what happened?
    • This is a quirk usually caused by geofiltering glitchs and can sometimes caused by new IP addresses being used by the ISP which were previously used in the US. This normally clears itself or customers can reset their modem or call their ISP to have the connection reset. If your device isn't mentioned in the first bullet point then its not compatible with the UK version of Netflix unfortunately.

• Sony are holding back on the service to push people to upgrade their TV's?
    • Categorically not true. We would love more people to have access to the service and avoid unhappy customers on the forums, but as above, its not technically possible to deliver the mandated elements on older devices.

• I live outside the UK, what if Netflix launch in my region soon?
    • Impossible to confirm, but if you have a 2012 device then there is a good likelyhood that the service will get pushed out when it goes live.

Hope this helps - please let me know if there are any other questions on this topic below/

Thanks

Tags (1)
26 REPLIES 26
profile.country.sv_SE.title
duffan
Visitor

Sweden support Netflix with AppleTV. AppleTv has an App. HDMI to BraviaTV.

Smart TV such as Samsung has Netflix app.

profile.country.en_IE.title
olearyj
Visitor

Is Netflix available on Sony Bravia 40ex724 in Ireland

This really is unacceptable. People invest good money in Sony products that are advertised as Internet TV's and then they can't receive one of the most popular Internet TV services i.e. Netflix! And yet, they can successfully receive all sorts of other popular streaming services that don't come up with such cras excuses i.e. BBC iPlayer, LoveFilm, etc, etc. My Internet HDTV isn't quite two years old yet and here are Sony apologising for not being able to deliver an Internet TV service on it...... you should invest some money Sony to make it compatible as what you've done is likely to drive even more loyal customers to your competitors i.e. Samsung, LG, etc. If this isn't resolved then I for one will never buy another Sony product again.........  

Tags (1)
stehall40
New

I own a Sony Bravia KDL-40LX903. I'm sure it's not even 2 years old but I'm putting it up for sale on Gumtree tomorrow and it's the last Sony media device I will be buying. I thought I was investing in a state of the art TV. Who would of thought that 18 months later it would be too out of date to play Netflix! This is unacceptable.

It you are reading this post because you find yourself in the same sorry position as me, please add your own post and maybe Sony will get the message.

If your are reading this because you are thinking of buying Sony, my advice is don't waste your hard earned cash. Buy a Samsung instead.

profile.country.en_GB.title
Batfinkk

This TV first shipped in early 2010 so the platform is 3.5 years old FWIW. Worth noting that Samsung's, Panasonics & LG's from the same timeframe are in the same position also so its not limited to one manufacturer.

Surely its only a software update ?????????????????
Anonymous
Not applicable

@davebdaddykool wrote:
Surely its only a software update ?????????????????

It would be, IF the hardware could cope with the software.  In this case, it doesnt.  Similar to why Microsoft Windows doesnt work on PC's a couple of versions before its time.

Dubfed
New

I bought 2 of the 32" KDL TVs in November 2012. I have lovefilm on them and also use them to stream content from my NAS. It's only via this forum that I find out there will be no more software updates which means no netflix or any other streaming service. *****??? I realise that over time devices get dropped for technical reasons but this is just smacks of Sony forcing people down an upgrade path which ultimately generates them revenue. I've gone out and bought a 55" Samsung LED and I will be looking at their smaller models to replace these "bricked" Sony boxes. Another thing is that the codecs shipped with these models aren't that good. No MKV support and they're picky over certain types of MP4. Needless to say, the Samsung currently plays everything I've thrown at it. Thinking seriously about moving away from Sony full stop and will probably go down the xbox route in 2014.

Tags (4)
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dubfed - It sounds like you have a 2011 model TV from your description.  I would always advise people to do their research fully before purchasing any product of value, to ensure that it suits your requirements and that you are not disappointed.  Impulse buying is a big cause of being disappointed with any product.