Join now - be part of our community!

Netflix FAQ

profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Netflix FAQ

Hi all

Thought I would provide a comprehensive and consolidated FAQ on Netflix as pretty much all the questions have already been answered, but may well be spread across different threads. Will update as new questions arise or if anything needs further clarification.

• Will my device get Netflix?
    • Simple answer is, if it hasn't got it already, then it won't be getting it I'm afraid.

• What devices do have Netflix support?
    • All 2012 platform BRAVIA's, Blu-ray players, Blu-ray Home Theatre Kits and Google TV. For clarity, this does not include the BDP-S185 and HX923 BRAVIA's which although still retailed in 2012, are actually based on the 2011 platform. As a rough rule of thumb, if its available to currently purchase on the this website, then it should be compatible.

• Why can't my device receive Netflix when its available on previous US TV's from the same generation?
    • DRM requirements have changed since Netflix first launched in the US a few years back. Thus its now mandated that the devices have to support Playready as well as supporting specific browsers to deliver a consistent experience . Only 2012 devices deliver on both of these criteria and so unfortunately its not possible to backport it to previous models due to the changes in requirements. We recognise this is a huge frustration for customers and have have examined every angle when it comes to finding a workaround, however it has not been possible unfortunately.

• Netflix appeared on my device temporarily and now isn't there, what happened?
    • This is a quirk usually caused by geofiltering glitchs and can sometimes caused by new IP addresses being used by the ISP which were previously used in the US. This normally clears itself or customers can reset their modem or call their ISP to have the connection reset. If your device isn't mentioned in the first bullet point then its not compatible with the UK version of Netflix unfortunately.

• Sony are holding back on the service to push people to upgrade their TV's?
    • Categorically not true. We would love more people to have access to the service and avoid unhappy customers on the forums, but as above, its not technically possible to deliver the mandated elements on older devices.

• I live outside the UK, what if Netflix launch in my region soon?
    • Impossible to confirm, but if you have a 2012 device then there is a good likelyhood that the service will get pushed out when it goes live.

Hope this helps - please let me know if there are any other questions on this topic below/

Thanks

Tags (1)
26 REPLIES 26
Valm01
New

Couldn't agree more - totally frustrated. Used to be able to access Netflix - spent a frustrating couple of hours getting nowhere.
No concept of customer service here. I get so frustrated with expensive products that perform for a short while then fall off the customer service cliff...
gerriea
New

I have to say this is the first and last Sony TV I've bought, it's been nothing but trouble. Crappy codec support for video streaming from my NAS, flaky mass storage support for USB drives and now it won't stream Netflix - it won't even try and neither will Sony. Clearly they have thrown in the towel and can't be arsed.

It is clearly a firmware update to resolve this, the Windows argument in a previous comment doesn't wash. You can get pretty much any PC within reason to support later versions it just takes a lot of effort and research to find the right drivers to fit. Yes it may run like a dog but it will work. Is the hardware in my KDL-22EX320 so god damn ancient that it won't run some firmware that comes out literally 1-2 years later. Did Sony build my TV out of used pinball machine parts?

Which components actually need replacing that they won't work with newly written code? Sony need to pull their finger out and meet they corporate responsibility and put some developers to work. Saying it is 'not possible'? I fear for the future of the company. Well not fear as I don't really care and neither do they I suppose.

Well my little bedroom TV will be gathering dust in the loft in a few months once I replace it with an LG or something more useful.
samk35
New

I have a Bravia kdl46ex723. I have followed all steps at the below link which appears the most comprehensive on Netflix setup.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/support-info.pl?info_id=526

Re Step 3, there is not a Video option on my remote control.

The most logical area is to go to the Bravia Entertainment Network but there I see multiple TV streaming providers (Amazon, etc) but no Netflix logo.

I have already activated Enhanced features and registered the TV.

Please can someone help me understand how to locate Netflix or advise why it is not appearing?

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

The EX723 TV is a 2011 Model.  Unfortunately you cannot get netflix on this model in the UK/EU.  You have referenced the US website on which it is available, but they have different requirements (ie DRM). 

Please see the following for more detailed information:

http://community.sony.co.uk/t5/how-tos-faqs-tvs-home-cinema/netflix-on-sony-products-faq/ta-p/145229...

Cheers

s_n123
Explorer

Hello, I am having issues with Netflix on my Sony KDL70r550a. I have had the TV since October 2013 and neither has ever worked. All other apps (Hulu, Amazon, etc) work perfectly.

When I open Sony Entertainment Network, I am able to select the Netflix app. However, once I do so, the screen goes blank with the spinning white circle in the upper right hand corner, which is normal as all apps do this. The difference is the TV kicks me back to the HDMI 1 input (normal television viewing). I have done numerous factory resets, changed my ISP (which is now getting around 50Mbps), changed the DNS to 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4, and swapped out my router - all with no luck.

I can access and watch movies on both Netflix and Vudu from my laptop, computer, iPad, and iPod - the only device not working is my television.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@s_n123 

Hi there

Unfortunately your model TV is not a UK model.  If its a US model, please see their forums : HERE

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
rox78887
Explorer

Its patently obvious that the pre 2012 TVs were endowed with the minimum computing power.  The menus are the slowest I've ever encountered on any TV I've ever used. My old Panasonic first generation HD Ready is far quicker.

So there was no thought at all about future demands and zero chance of meeting Netflix DRM requirements.  Looks like this was a false economy and has lost a lot of customers (as has Samsung). Sony Accountants please note.