Join now - be part of our community!

Database update failed

SOLVED
profile.country.CH.title
knight_lancelot
New

Database update failed

Hello Sony Tablet users!

I experienced this bug/error sometimes, I have no idea why.

After (not) closing the internal Music App with the 'Home' Button,

the error [Database update failed] appears on the "taskbar" next to the clock.

and when I start the Music App again - all the Music-Files appear anymore.

After installing and uninstalling other apps and even resetting the entire tablet I only "solved" this problem by killig the app "Media players" by 'force stop'

@

Applications->

Manage Applications->

All->

Then scroll down and select "Media players"

click to "Force stop"

and open the Music app again - and there they are my Music Files again :smileygrin:

I don't know what the cause of this error is

As the app dosn't really crash, Android doesn't make any error report which I can send to them to look into it and solve it with the next Honeycomb update.

I hope this instruction help you temporarily...

1. Does anyone experienced the same bug?

2. Does anyone know another way to permanently solve this problem?

/ without advising me to install any other App like Player Pro which I have on my Sony Xperia Arc and works perfectly - as I really like the Visualisation thingi and the throw thingi on the preinstalled Sony Music App

Thanks for your feedback!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
lemurville
Visitor

Whenever I restart the tablet I get this issue.

Seems to correct itself after a while.

looks like Sony have fixed the problem. There's an update to Media Players in the marketplace.

since installing it i haven't had the problem.

Message was edited by: andyrlea

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.en_GB.title
lemurville
Visitor

Whenever I restart the tablet I get this issue.

Seems to correct itself after a while.

looks like Sony have fixed the problem. There's an update to Media Players in the marketplace.

since installing it i haven't had the problem.

profile.country.CH.title
knight_lancelot
New

Thanks andyrlea

My Tablet

updated the Media Player while in standby automatically in the background.

i just saw the successful installation of the app.

i'll post again if the the bug should occur again.

profile.country.GB.title
amillionbytes
New

Hey guys

OK so yesterday I kept getting the Database Update notification sticking at around 83%.  Device restarts had no effect.

After getting Media Go 2.0 to work (found that you have to uninstall QuickTime) I deleted my Music folder on the device, hoping it would clear the media database.

Apparently, no.

Now I get the Database Update Failed error, and the music app will (sometimes) not open.  Forcing a database update has no effect.

Any ideas?

profile.country.GB.title
amillionbytes
New

ok so I resolved this by going into Settings, Applications, then All (to bring up all installed apps). scrolling down and selecting Media Players, I then did Clear Data, which preumably deleted the database from the System store for the application.  the database rebuild then worked fine  :slight_smile:

profile.country.nl_NL.title
breedBenR

Better than to delete folders such as Music on your device (Recreate it if it did not already do so itself!), you should try the Clear Cache and Clear Data buttons of apps such as Media Players, if you want to clear the data. These buttons are found under Settings, Applications for each app, where you also find the Force Close button.

Did you update Media Players to the latest version?

It is not only music, also pictures, video and (i believe) ebooks that are in the 'Database' that is updating. It might be one of the latter types that made your database hang at 83%. Such as a pdf with a weird character in its name... Very difficult to guess where your problem comes from.

profile.country.GB.title
girasouls
Explorer

Great, I had this problem with a Sony high resolution walkman type NW-ZX1, and this hint solved it! On that device you need to navigate to the "Settings", then to the "Apps", then to the Tab "Running" (Apps) where you find the "Media Players" to which you can apply "Stop"/"Force Stop". So happy to finally see my "Playlists" in "My Library" after the automatically running "Database Update" action!

Thank you so much for sharing this solution!