Join now - be part of our community!

X88 Volume adjustment, sound and EQ issues

X88 Volume adjustment, sound and EQ issues

Hi, I seems to have some issues with my new X88 speaker in that;

1. The volume buttons on the top only adjust the input source and not the actual volume.

2. The EQ settings in the SongPal app make no recognisable difference to the sound (they do on my X77).

3. Overall the sound doesn't seem right, it's shallow with very little bass (very noticeable compared to my X77 and X55).

4. I cannot initialise the speaker using the Vol - key and Stands.

I had thought the sound might warm up as the speaker bedded in but there's no change as yet. It has a couple of software updates in the 2 weeks I've had it, no change to these issue though.

Any help/steer would be great. If anyone has an X88 it would good to know if these has depth and bass/took time to bed in.

Thanks

59 REPLIES 59
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Hi,

in date 14/09/2016 it was released an Update firmware, have you installed it?:

http://www.sony.it/support/it/product/SRS-X88#

Manolo

Hi Manolo,

Thanks for the reply, and yes I think that update has been applied.

The software version in SongPal says it's 1.60.2892, which is the version
in that link.

SongPal does show my speaker as an X99, which it isn't. I wonder if a
software issue is causing all theses bugs, but I can't reset it either.

Thanks,

I have EXACTLY the same issue. Did you manage to find a solution?

Sorry, wasn't able to fix. Couldn't re-initiate/reset due to the issue.
Returned product to the retailer.
KN_SWE
Explorer

I bought a SRS-X88 yesterday. At first, it worked well and I was impressed by the great sound from the small speaker.
But when I upgraded to the latest software speaker started the same problem as you describe.
The sound is bad and the keys to the volume and on/off does not work. Also, I can not connect to access the software installed.
Unfortunately, I must also return it.

profile.country.GB.title
Hanssluiman
Explorer

Exactly the same story here. I bought my first X88 a few days ago, and immediately proceeded to install the latest firmware. Then the soft buttons stopped working, and there was only right channel audio. Retailer John Lewis kindly gave me a replacement X88 and this time before connecting it to my WiFi I tried it first with a good audio source, using the AUDIO IN port. Everything worked fine. But then I downloaded the firmware update - BIG MISTAKE. The speaker has now the same problems as the first unit. The firmware is clearly the cause of this - according to the SongPal app the speaker is now a X99 which is clearly wrong. It looks like the X99 firmware update was installed instead of the X88 version.

Unless Sony comes up with a fix I will have to return this unit to JL and get my third X88 which I will leave running on the factory installed firmware.

UPDATE: Retailer John Lewis has now exchanged two units because the firmware update rendered them inoperable. I am now using a third X88 which I decided NOT to update. As a result it has so far been working absolutely fine. The factory-installed firmware version as reported by SongPal is 1.10.2476. However, the UPDATE indicator remains lit all the time which is slightly annoying (I haven't found a way to tell the X88 to stop checking for new firmware versions). Sony really should warn buyers of the SRS-X88 NOT to install new firmware, or even better, they should make sure that only thoroughly tested firmware versions are published.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All

I have reported this to Sony (if they are not already aware of the issue that is) - any feedback received will be posted back into this thread.

Cheers

KN_SWE
Explorer

I've tried two devices now and both have the same error.

Is there any device that works after the update?

profile.country.GB.title
Hanssluiman
Explorer

I have reported my problem to Sony Customer Support who have confirmed that the case has been escalated for further investigation.