Join now - be part of our community!

XP SP2 and CD-R/RW problems

sardav
Visitor

XP SP2 and CD-R/RW problems

Hi everyone !
I have a PCG-GRV516G Vaio notebook and I experienced a problem after installing Windows XP SP2 : I can't write any information on CD-R or CD-RW, although I can still read them, as I can read DVD !

After uninstalling XP SP2, I can reuse the writing capabilities as before.

I guess XP SP2 is not allowing the CD-R or CD-RW wrinting, process but as don't know how to configure it (exceptions ?) I'm looking for your kind help in order to solve this problem.

Thank you !

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

See <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316529" target="_blank"><span style="color: red"><b><u>this Microsoft solution</b></u></span></a>

You should make sure you have a backup before editing the registry manually.

sardav
Visitor

See <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316529" target="_blank"><span style="color: red"><b><u>this Microsoft solution</b></u></span></a>

You should make sure you have a backup before editing the registry manually.

Thank you for the link. I visited it carfully although it's a link dated from 2002 ! To find a solution I'm ready to try almost every solutions. Unfortunately it didn't helped, the registry was set correctly.

I hope somone else will be helpfull too.

I'm waiting impatiently...

PS: I reached Microsoft XP hotline, they suggested me to install XP SP2 in "mode sans echec" (sorry I don't know the right translation in english). They said it can help solving some problems... But it didn't. But perhaps it can be a solution for the others... !

sardav
Visitor

Some more news about this problem !

It's still not solved, Microsoft XP SP2 pack assistance is trying to solve it, that for this problem passed at Microsoft assistance from level 1 to level 2 they told me... I just hope there are not to many levels... Idont want to wait till level 100 !

So if someone is using a GRV516G or a similar computer under SP2 could help it would be great ! Otherwise I'll come back to XP SR1 !

Dear vaio masters could you please help me too ? :thinking:

mutungi
Visitor

I upgraded my S1XP to XP Pro SP2 and it was:
1. Slow running applications.
2. Conflict with DVD, etc.
3. Suspect with new software installations.
I removed SP2, fully recovered the notebook using the recovery discs and now it runs well on the default SP1and no conflicts, etc. Happy bunny again!:smileygrin:

sardav
Visitor

It's me again,

My problem has been solved ! Christmas miracle ... and 8 (eight) SP2 upgrade patches that have been downloaded while I was connected to the net and then installed !

I called microsoft and told them about this lucky event ! They were not surprised.

So If you have problems too, try to download upgrade patches from their site, or let your computer do it himself (under SP2) and let miracles happen... if you belive in miracles... and/or are not too bored or angry with microsoft everlasting problems... and patches... !

Merry Christmas to all the readers !

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Excellent news.
Merry Christmas.