Join now - be part of our community!

PCG-GRX316MP upgrading ram size

GordonHbm
Visitor

PCG-GRX316MP upgrading ram size

Hi!
I use my laptop for photographic use which involves image editing in Photoshop CS, using RAW image files that are ~8MB and since I use layers extensively files can easily exceed 150MB.
I have 2 x 256 Ram installed and run XP Pro. Before I start PhotoshopCS the available Ram is ~300MB. I would dearly like to go to 2 x 500MB RAM - is this possible and how do I do it?
Many thanks for your help
GordonHbm

18 REPLIES 18
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Yes it's possible
If you go to Crucial.com and use the memory matcher you can get 2x512MB

feederfan
Visitor

When you do this you will want to get a matching pair of 512MB DDR sticks. This means your motherboard can use Dual Channel mode more effectivley, and this allows your computer to treat the 2 sticks as one stick, and improves speed. I myself do Web and Graphic Design using Macromedia Studio, and I notice a real different when using my Desktop which has 1GB DDR, and how much faster it is than my notebook which has 512MB DDR

kee-lo_

Yeah Macromedia products eat RAM like no tomorrow

GordonHbm
Visitor

Thanks for the input. I was under the impression that there was some aspect that prvented you from using more than 512MB. Is the trick to use matched 512MB DDR sticks? Can you confirm positively that it will work on my laptop so I can go buy?

robpaxton
Explorer

I have 1Gb in my GRX316SP - it is basically the same computer as the GRX316MP. Have a look at http://www.crucial.com/uk for your memory, they are good value, very reliable, ad have great customer service.

I had to select the GRX600 series to get the 512Mb chips when I ordered mine.

kee-lo_

Didn't the SP edition have an MD player?

robpaxton
Explorer

No, it had a faster processor, more pre-installed memory, & a larger hard disk.

It's in virtual retirement now and is only used very occasionally.

kee-lo_

Same with my GRX, use it a few times and thats it.
Going to keep it for when I get a job.

GordonHbm
Visitor

Now I am confused! You said that you had 1GB installed and recommended I go to Crucial. Have done so and they tell me that 512MB is the max for the PCG-GRX300 series! Help!!