Join now - be part of our community!

Windows 8, RAM and HD to SSD Upgrade

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
navstar5
Explorer

Windows 8, RAM and HD to SSD Upgrade

Hi,

This is my first post since purchasing my VGN-Z21/WNB bck in early 2007.

I'd like to upgrade it to Windows 8, 4GB to 8GB RAM and HD to SSD.

I am currently running Vista Enterprise and would like to upgrade to Windows 8. Is 4GB RAM sufficient or do I need to upgrade the RAM. Is it possible to upgrade the RAM.

Finally, can this laptop accomodate SSD? If so, what is the maximum size and do I need to be aware of anything?

Thanks in advance.

Navstar5 :slight_smile:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi navstar5 and welcome.

Sony do not support an upgrade to Windows 8 for your model. I would do a good bit of research before attempting a clean install of Windows 8 without Sony's support as it is not straightforward and many features of your Vaio will not work. You will have to source the drivers individually. Probably best to wait until someone else has successfully completed the exercise and can supply a link to the custom drivers!!

The Specifications for your model say 4GB RAM is the maximum - however, if it runs Vista OK it should run Windows 8.

www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-Z21WN_B/specifications

You should be able to install a SSD of the same physical size as a SATA 2.5 inch Hard Drive. The size of the SSD will more likely be driven by cost that anything else. Just be aware that SSDs use 4K Sectors rather than the older 512K drives and because of this, you cannot reinstall the operating system from Sony Recovery Discs. This would only apply is you wanted to return to factory settings.

:thinking:

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi navstar5 and welcome.

Sony do not support an upgrade to Windows 8 for your model. I would do a good bit of research before attempting a clean install of Windows 8 without Sony's support as it is not straightforward and many features of your Vaio will not work. You will have to source the drivers individually. Probably best to wait until someone else has successfully completed the exercise and can supply a link to the custom drivers!!

The Specifications for your model say 4GB RAM is the maximum - however, if it runs Vista OK it should run Windows 8.

www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-Z21WN_B/specifications

You should be able to install a SSD of the same physical size as a SATA 2.5 inch Hard Drive. The size of the SSD will more likely be driven by cost that anything else. Just be aware that SSDs use 4K Sectors rather than the older 512K drives and because of this, you cannot reinstall the operating system from Sony Recovery Discs. This would only apply is you wanted to return to factory settings.

:thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
navstar5
Explorer

Hi Blencogo.

Thanks very much for the concise feedback. I think I'll wait regarding Windows 8 and research into the SSD carefully.

Navstar5:smileyhappy: