Join now - be part of our community!

Where to download camera driver for Vaio

SOLVED
profile.country.en_IE.title
ronanlong
Visitor

Where to download camera driver for Vaio

I've recently bought the 13.3 touch screen Vaio t-series (SVT1312B4E) running Windows 8.  I had to uninstall the drivers for my printer/scanner - through this action my webcam has stopped working.  I've checked in the device manager and the camera is no longer listed as a device.  Where can I download the drivers to sort this out ?  I've read other various posts that suggest the drivers are supplied with Windows and not by Sony, but I still can't find anything to help ....

Message was edited by: ronanlong

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi ronanlong,

You  are correct that the camera drivers are embedded in the Windows OS and therefore not available to download from Sony.

Assuming that the printer you uninstalled was USB this may possibly have interfered with the controllers - the camera is also a USB device.

You could try shutting down, remove power adaptor and battery and then hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Then re-attach battery and power adaptor and reboot.

If this has no effect then open Device Manager > expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers > right click each item listed in the tree and select uninstall. Then shut down, remove power adaptor and battery and then hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Re-attach battery and power adaptor and reboot. Windows will reinstall the USB controller drivers.

Hopefully the camera will then be recognised.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
ronanlong
Visitor

Hey Rich

Thanks for the feedback.  I went back to the shop and confirmed that the driver for the camera is listed as "USB 2.0 Camera" under the imaging devices section in device manager - that's where the printer is listed so presumably the mixup happened in there.  When the camera stopped working I tried to update the driver - to no avail - so I then uninstalled it thinking I could easily install it again, but therein lies the problem.

I'll try removing the battery holding the power button - I saw that mentioned on other posts (something to do with flushing out the static or something?) but hadn't tried it.  The last option sounds a bit drastic - am I not in danger of disabling a range of other devices by removing the drivers ?  Or does your battery removal trick have some other effect ?

Thanks again - I'll try this tonight.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi ronanlong,

Just removing the battery and holding down the power button sometimes resolves this issue – but not always.

Deleting all USB controllers sounds daunting but as these are native Windows drivers they are automatically reinstalled when you reboot. I have carried out this procedure on a number of occasions without problem. I only added removing battery and holding down power button after deleting USB controllers for belt and braces – it may not actually be necessary.

Good luck.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
ronanlong
Visitor

Sound - thanks.  I'll give that a go.

ronanlong
Visitor

Rich

Seems like you are the man.  Tried your instructions and hey presto all is good in the world again.  Camera is working. 

Thanks alot.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Great news ronanlong!

Out of interest was it just removing battery etc. that was the solution or was it necessary to delete the USB controllers?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
ronanlong
Visitor

I uninstalled all of the USB drivers then did the battery removal trick.

I told the wife I fixed it myself.  You're not getting any credit !

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

ROFL non required but that info will help us to advise other members with the same problem 🙂

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi ronanlong,

You  are correct that the camera drivers are embedded in the Windows OS and therefore not available to download from Sony.

Assuming that the printer you uninstalled was USB this may possibly have interfered with the controllers - the camera is also a USB device.

You could try shutting down, remove power adaptor and battery and then hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Then re-attach battery and power adaptor and reboot.

If this has no effect then open Device Manager > expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers > right click each item listed in the tree and select uninstall. Then shut down, remove power adaptor and battery and then hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Re-attach battery and power adaptor and reboot. Windows will reinstall the USB controller drivers.

Hopefully the camera will then be recognised.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat