Join now - be part of our community!

Where has Local-Security-Policy gone? Win8 Admin Tools

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
DaveTK
Explorer

Where has Local-Security-Policy gone? Win8 Admin Tools

Hi All,

I've recently bought a Vaio SVE1513B4E with Windows 8 installed.

It was the case when I used XP that I could set the action of what happens when entering the logon password incorrectly a number of times.

The Local Security Policy, (LSP), was held in Control Panel under Administrative Tools.  When I look up, "what are administrative tools", in the Win8 "help and support", the LSP is referred to, but in actual fact it doesn't reside in the administrative tools at all.

So,

. Has the LSP been removed from Control Panel on purpose; does it reside somewhere else?

. Will the computer lock out if I enter the password too many times?

. If so, how many times.

. Can I change the number of times?

Is it possible that SONY handle the Local Security in another way with their own tools?

When I look in the administrative toolls folder in control panel, there are 19 tools in total, LSP is not one of them. How many do you have?

I asked the same question on Microsoft forum but no joy there as of yet.

AdminTools_2.png

(Please give me back my Local Security Policy!)

Regards

DaveTK

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi DaveTK,

welcome to the Sony User Community..:smileyhappy:

Can you confirm if you have windows 8 home or proffessional.?

If it's home then I pretty sure that do not have the Local Security Policy Editor(Secpol.msc) addon..

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Dave TK and welcome.

Have you tried pressing the 'Windows Key + R' and typing gpedit.msc into the 'Run' box and clicking 'OK'?

I am not sure it is available in the basic version of Windows 8 - it was not available in the Home Premium versions of Vista and Win 7. You may need Windows 8 Pro.

:thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi DaveTK,

welcome to the Sony User Community..:smileyhappy:

Can you confirm if you have windows 8 home or proffessional.?

If it's home then I pretty sure that do not have the Local Security Policy Editor(Secpol.msc) addon..

profile.country.en_GB.title
DaveTK
Explorer

Thalamus, Blencogo,

Thank you for the welcome.

I had no luck with running gpedit.msc  Windows says, file not found.

I am running basic Win8 OEM installation, not the Pro version. 

I went to the store where I bought the computer and tried several other machines that had the basic version of Win8, non of them had Local Security Policy installed. There were no Win 8 Pro PCs that I could verify it was present there, however, I had a reply on the Microsoft forum where one user with Win8 Pro did have the policy installed. So based upon what you say and the MS forum user said, I am sure you are correct about it being only on Win 8 Pro.

Win 8 uses a lot of hard drive space and I don't want to clog it up with any more pointless Apps just to get this one option installed.

I'm now not sure what will happen if I accidentally type in the password incorrectly multiple times and will the computer lock out?

Regards

DaveTK