Join now - be part of our community!

Warning: Do not buy a Vaio if you want to install anything extra.

profile.country.GB.title
clash-city-rocker

Warning: Do not buy a Vaio if you want to install anything extra.

Sony will not support this configuration.

I wanted to install Half Life 2 (best selling game of 2005) on my Sony FS-295XP laptop, the specs on paper were more than plenty (the reason I paid for a pricey laptop compared to cheapo).

The laptop Blue Screen's when Half Life 2 is launched. I have done everything Sony have requested, including resoring my system from the recovery disks, and running hardware diags.

The end result is, that Sony are not planning on releasing a newer NVidia driver, and cannot support my laptop, saying they only support pre-installed applications (not like they even suppot those, as they could not tell me how to remove Norton SystemCrawl 2005, without uninstall errors).

All in all, a total sham. If Sony had not wanted to produce their own video drivers, then they should have done what all other OEM manufacturers do, rely on NVidia reference drivers. As it is, I cannot use NVidia reference drivers, and Sony will not release any of their custom NVidia Go62000 drivers.

Not very happy. Am thinking of contacting trading standards over this, as I feel they have to support my 3 month old laptop, rather than washing their hands of the problem..

9 REPLIES 9
William
Visitor

I understand your disappointment but I don't believe Sony are the only laptop manufacturer "guilty" of this.

Please see on the Nvidia website HERE

Buy a games console (or a desktop computer) for games and live happily ever. At the end of the day your laptop works fine and I don't think Sony advertised it as a mobile gaming machine - They just don't exist.

And don't hold your breath waiting for an updated driver from Sony you may have a long wait.

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

They just don't exist.

There is these Alienware stuff. I don't like it really, Just for hardcore games and for those which live at mommies home and daddy pays the energy costs.:smileytongue:

William
Visitor

They just don't exist.

There is these Alienware stuff. I don't like it really, Just for hardcore games and for those which live at mommies home and daddy pays the energy costs.:smileytongue:

They look great but last time I looked their best don't come CHEAP but neither do Vaio's :wink:

ALIENWARE

mgillespie - You should have bought their top of the range :smileygrin:

seb21__
Visitor

:cool:

William
Visitor

The Badgers Nadgers

My Desktop didn't fare too well in their free test:

profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

Alienware also has it's critics and more and more

kee-lo_

LOL @ Seb, I can imagine you saying that too !

I do agree with William, they are pretty good machines, shame the support is bad

seb21__
Visitor

I allready have Labtop with Intel Pentium 4 Desktop CPU. And it's a VAIO and a pain.

Kee-Lo, you should know that. You heard more from the fans of my VAIO, than of my own voice on Skype. LOL

And I say it again and again. You kick yourself if you use a Computer which need same energy like a little freezer.

My VAIO is like a 50watts bulb (if I do nothing). Thats more than enough in my opinion.
I could pay the tax of a little car instead to use my VAIO. If someone knows what I mean.

kee-lo_

Your voice is cool Seb, I could hear the whining of the fans though