Join now - be part of our community!

VPCZ2 AMD Graphics not working after Windows 8 upgrade

profile.country.sv_SE.title
Visitor

VPCZ2 AMD Graphics not working after Windows 8 upgrade

VPCZ2 successfully upgrades to Windows 8. But the AMD HD Graphics card in the Power Media Dock does not work after upgrade.

Seems like windows installs a driver for HD6700 M Series (Microsoft - WDDM v1.20) that does not work. The original Windows 7 drivers are for a HD 6650 graphics card. If I try and re-install original Win 7 AMD drivers on Windows 8, I get a computer crash.

With AMD tools its not possible to download the driver for a Sony laptop with hybrid graphics.

The exact version of Laptop is VPCZ211V9E with Power Media Dock VGP-PRZ20C.

Anybody that can help out or has a idea where I can find the correct AMD driver?

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I would read the Sony Windows 8 FAQs page, linked in this sticky thread: -

*Sony Windows 8 FAQ's*

As we have seen with XP, Vista and Windows 7 in the past, there is not much point in upgrading to a new Operating System until the supporting drivers and utilities are available.

We have no information from Sony when this will be.  The above FAQ page will let you search to see if your model will be supported.

:thinking:

Message was edited by: Thalamus.

Corrected removed sticky link

profile.country.fi_FI.title
Eka1966
Visitor

Any updates for this issue? I found from Windows 8 upgrade support list my laptop VPCZ23ZE/B.

After upgrading secondary display doesn't work through VGP-PRZ20A docking station.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

As far as I can see, Sony now partly support this upgrade for the VPCZ2 Vaios.

This means you can download the Upgrade Kit (VUforWin8Upg.exe) which is necessary for a successful upgrade. Remember to make Recovery Discs as instructed just in case!!

This Upgrade Kit removes incompatible software and drivers while you still have Windows 7 installed and reinstalls software and drivers after Windows 8 has been installed - choosing the "Keep Windows settings, personal files and Apps" option.

Many of the available Windows 8 drivers and utilities are UPDATES only and require the original version to be already installed or, where it is incompatible and has been uninstalled, the original version must be in the Recovery Partition.

However, you need to think carefully before upgrading. There is NO available driver for the AMD Graphics chip in the Media Dock and the last I heard there were no plans to provide one.

This would kill it for me personally - so I will be staying with Windows 7.

:thinking: