Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio VGN-N21E and XP

RobinHalifax
Visitor

Vaio VGN-N21E and XP

Hello all.

Recently the company I workfor upgraded their systems to a domain from a workgroup, the guy doing the installs formatted my hard drive and installed XP. Now, everything is working with the exception of my sound card. When I stsrt up my machine and the Vaio logo comes on,it makes the Vaio sound, as soon as XP fires up, no sound, when I do a sys info it tells me that no multimedi device was found. Can anyone help as I no longer have the Vist operating system to re-install thanks to the idiot. Cheers

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Robin and welcome to Club Vaio.

Your Realtek ALC262 High Definition Audio Codec soundcard cannot install without a Microsoft Hotfix. This is because XP does not actually support High Definition Audio.

The Hotfix you need is the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for high Definition Audio KB835221 and I attach the Hotfix at the bottom of this post - just run the .EXE and then you should be able to install the Realtek driver.

You will need the XP Realtek Driver which can be obtained from the Original Driver Package for the VGN-N11S which was sold with XP installed. You can download BOTH the Original Drivers Package for XP and the Original Utilities Package for XP from here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/downloads/preinstalled/preinstalled.asp?site=voe_en_GB_cons&m=2392

You will probably find other things that don't work unless the Utilities have been installed.

:wink:

RobinHalifax
Visitor

Thank you so much ... I have sound 🐵

Can you tell me which driver is needed for the mass storage controller?

Again, thank you

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Robin,

The Mass Storage Controller is the Texas Instruments FlashMedia Controller. This controls the MemoryStick and SD Card readers.

You will find the driver in the XP Driver Download for the N11S under C:\Drivers\FlashMedia\TI21SONY.INF

You will have to install it from Device Manager by choosing 'Update Driver'. Choose 'No, not this time' -> 'Install from List or Specific Location' -> 'Don't Search, I will choose a driver to install' -> 'Have Disc' and browse to C:\Drivers\FlashMedia\TI21SONY.INF

:wink:

RobinHalifax
Visitor

Sorry, ignore the last stupid question, it was the flash Media driver.

Again, thank you for your help.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

You obviously have it under control!!

Good Luck.

:slight_smile:

RobinHalifax
Visitor

Hi again and thanks for your help.

Well, I thought I had it under control but alas, I've run into another problem you might be able to help me with....

I like to watch movies etc from my laptop via a projector, the problem is that since the XP installation, the F7 key won't play, would you happen to know of any way round the problem?

Cheers
Rob

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Rob,

Do the other FN Keys work? (Fn+F3, Fn+F4, Fn+F5, Fn+F6 for volume and screen brightness.)

If none of these work, you will need to reinstall some of the Original Utilities for the VGN-N11S (This model was sold with XP installed).

Download the Original Utilities Package from here:

http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/downloads/preinstalled/preinstalled.asp?site=voe_en_GB_cons&c=0&s=VGN...

Right-click on the downloaded file (N1_Utilities.ZIP) and choose "Extract All". Choose to extract to C:\. This will create a folder C:\Utils.

Navigate to C:\Utils and run the Setup.EXE in each of these Utils Installers IN ORDER: -

1 Sony Utils DLL
2 Sony Shared Library
Vaio Event Service
Setting Utility Series.

If this is not the solution then what version of the Intel Graphics Driver do you have installed? Is it the XP Version?

:thinking: