Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio SB1X9E/S and SSD

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
dr2393
Explorer

Vaio SB1X9E/S and SSD

I have a Vaio SB1X9X/E laptop with a Hitachi 500Mb hard drive.  I am thinking of changing this for a Crucial 256Mb SSD.  The physical change looks quite straight forward but has anyone done this and have you had any problems.  The SB1 is running a 64bit version of Windows 7 Pro at the moment.  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi dr2393.

Of course it it possible.

Provided you have a conventional hard drive fitted, which has a standard SATA connector, it is just a case of swapping out the drives.

On models with Sony's SSDs factory preinstalled, there is a problem because the SSDs have a different form factor and connector to a 2.5 inch hard drive and they must be replaced with special SSDs.

If I were you I would take all sensible belt and braces precautions: -

• Make at least 2 sets of Recovery Discs and use these to reinstall the System.
  • Make a hard drive Image on an external HDD with something like Acronis True Image in case of difficulties.
  • Keep your existing HDD available untill the SSD works OK.

:wink:

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.en_GB.title
nikkilim
Visitor

I dont think this will be feasible. Usually SSDs are soldered together with the motherboard. It usually comes presintalled when you purchase a notebook. https://imagicon.info/cat/12-13/vmware_happy.gif

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi dr2393.

Of course it it possible.

Provided you have a conventional hard drive fitted, which has a standard SATA connector, it is just a case of swapping out the drives.

On models with Sony's SSDs factory preinstalled, there is a problem because the SSDs have a different form factor and connector to a 2.5 inch hard drive and they must be replaced with special SSDs.

If I were you I would take all sensible belt and braces precautions: -

• Make at least 2 sets of Recovery Discs and use these to reinstall the System.
  • Make a hard drive Image on an external HDD with something like Acronis True Image in case of difficulties.
  • Keep your existing HDD available untill the SSD works OK.

:wink: