Join now - be part of our community!

Two mhz number on "my computer"?

KlapsKali
Visitor

Two mhz number on "my computer"?

Hi, first my english is not that good, but please continue reading. If I click (right) on "My Computer" then choose properties and generell there are two mhz numbers. I guess the first one is the maximum mhz of my cpu, but what does the second one mean? Sometimes the second one shows 2.8 and sometimes 1.6 even if my notebook is on ac power. I downloaded a tool from Intel (Frequency ID Utility) this tool always shows 2.8 (currently frequency) even when "my Computer" shows 1.6. If somebody understood me :wink: and knows an answer please reply. Thanks for that and for reading this far!

Best regards

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.en_GB.title
tellingd
Visitor

Can you confirm what chip you have - Pentium-M, Pentium or Celeron?

kee-lo_

Sounds like you have a CPU which has Hyper Threading.

KlapsKali
Visitor

I have a Mobile Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.80 GHz. What is Hyper Threading and where can i check if my cpu has that?

KlapsKali
Visitor

According to the Sandra benchmark my cpu does not have hyper threading...

tellingd
Visitor

I have a Mobile Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.80 GHz. What is Hyper Threading and where can i check if my cpu has that?

The easiest way is to go to TaskManager and click CPU performance - if you can see 2 green lines you have hyperthreading
:smileygrin:

kee-lo_

As you said if Sandra doesn't have it then you don't have it.
I have no idea why you have two figures.

VAIOneer
Visitor

It may be because the CPU is going into a lower power mode, thus helping to preserve battery life.

noun
1. a Club VAIO member who is one of the first to do something.
2. a Club VAIO member who helps establish a community.
adj.
Of, relating to, or characteristic of early members: the VAIOneer spirit.

KlapsKali
Visitor

I thought that too. But it also happen on AC-Power.

tellingd
Visitor

What have you got your profiles set to? You can set the AC power to slower clock speeds anyway I think?