Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio Recovery Disk annoyances...RS-123desktop

tonez2006
Visitor

Sony Vaio Recovery Disk annoyances...RS-123desktop

Hi all, ive posted this issue on the official 'sony vaio club' site , in the solutions and general chat section of the forums and how to go abouts rectifying and/or diagnosing this is beyond me. I've tried a few things but it hasn't solved my problem. As my last resort, ive decided to join an independent forum to seek outside help and would greatly appreciate any advice anybody could offer.

System Specs

CPUIntel(R) Pentium(R) 4 Processor
Clock Frequency2667 MHz (2.68ghz heh)
System Memory1 x kingston 256MB DDR 266mhz RAM , 1 x Corsair 256MB DDR 333mhz (clocked down) TOTAL 512MB DDR

Cache Memory 512KB (originaly machine had just the first memory stick, not the corsair. so i had 256mb ram)
Hard Disk:Master - 80GB 35:45 partioned, OS/system files on the 35 partition part. SLAVE - IBM Deskstar 80GB.

Ports:2 X 2.0 USB ports front and 2 x 2.0 usb sockts at front
2 x IEEe firewire ports

Graphics CardGeForce Nvidia FX 5600 256DDR VRAM AGP (originaly machine had a GeForce Nvidia Ti4200 64mb)

Network Adaptors:1394 Net Adaptor
BT Voyagor 1040 Wireless PCI Adaptor 54mbps (originaly never came with the machine. was added to go wireless)
MAC Bridge Mini Point
RealTekRTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

I think i've covered it, nothing missed out

So basicly the problem im having is that i can't seem to get a system recovery done on this computer. Upon reboot, with the cd inside the drive I follow the instructions to get into the main menu and wait. I see the fat white cursor arrow, and the pale blue background and the CD spins away as if its loading something up. Promising up till this point. THEN, i get this annoying as sin error message box ' Vaio System Recovery Utility' , a big white cross in a white circle and the error reads 'Cannot use this recovery disk for this computer. Confirm the Model Type.

What on earth is going on ? lol No, ive checked the front of my CD and it reads 'SONY(R) VAIO Recovery and Documentation Disc for SONY RS SERIES. Support for this product is provided via VAIO-Link.

My machine is a RS-123 model, yet this CD will not pick it up !!!? Somebody told me if id installed any new hardware devices since purchasing the computer (which was late october early november 2003) and i told them yes, as you can see ive mentioned those added devices at the top in the specs section by telling you what came originaly with the PC. They then proceeded to tell me to RESTORE MY BIOS to DEFAULT settings. ive done that, rebooted but same problem same error message :neutral: .

CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME PLEASE ??? :slight_frown:

1 REPLY 1
Exinferis
Visitor

Hi there,

Not sure I can help you much, but I did have a similar problem when trying to resore my Dad's computer earlier this year; although his was a refurbished Emachines thing.

We found that there was a problem with the Bios which was stopping Windows from installing properly.

Can you get onto Vaio-Link and check for Bios updates for your machine?

Also, can I ask why you need to restore the whole OS? Sorry if this all sounds patronising, considering you seem to know what you're doing! But either myself, or another member may be able to pin-point your problem and offer some advice!

Ex.