Join now - be part of our community!

sony SVE1712Z1E upgrade to 16gb and ssd questions

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
adiphia
Visitor

sony SVE1712Z1E upgrade to 16gb and ssd questions

Recently i got SVE1712Z1E, just wondering can I upgrade it to 16 gb(8BG maxmium on sony website) and which sata (2 or 3 or just generic one)the system using? can I use sata 3 for my ssd ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
adiphia
Visitor

I will go ahead for a try as I do software development, i will be involved in database design, so big ram and ssd will be an advantage in coding and data pulling.

I bought an samsung 830 256gb ssd, as Sata 2 and Sata 3 infrastructure does't really make huge performance different.My guess is Sony doesn't enable Sata 3.

I was thinking the same like you but however if it doesn't work , I will just return the laptop and memory and go for asus or alienware, personally I don't really want a gaming machine and those gaming machine are expensive. I will let you know if it is working or not.

Message was edited by: adiphia

It worked for both .

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi adiphia.

There must be a reason why Sony say 8GB Max Supported Memory.  I would stick with this recommendation.

The HM76 Express chipset supports SATA3 but I can't tell if Sony have enabled this or if it uses SATA2.  SATA3 drives are backward compatible anyway so they will work with SATA2 or SATA3.

:thinking:

adiphia
Visitor

I will go ahead for a try as I do software development, i will be involved in database design, so big ram and ssd will be an advantage in coding and data pulling.

I bought an samsung 830 256gb ssd, as Sata 2 and Sata 3 infrastructure does't really make huge performance different.My guess is Sony doesn't enable Sata 3.

I was thinking the same like you but however if it doesn't work , I will just return the laptop and memory and go for asus or alienware, personally I don't really want a gaming machine and those gaming machine are expensive. I will let you know if it is working or not.

It worked for both .